Moparts

Average cost to update A/C?

Posted By: SattyNoCar

Average cost to update A/C? - 07/19/15 05:34 AM

My '93 Dakota still has its original R12 system. The compressor kicks on when A/C or defrost is selected, but, its not cold.

What's the average cost to convert over to 134? (assuming there is no major parts replacement). What all is involved?

I checked around when I first got the truck and prices were all over the place. At the time I decided to wait until I knew the truck didn't have any (major) mechanical issues.

The heat isn't as brutal as it was in my wagon, so, I've been living with it. Now that I know I want to keep the truck, I want to get the A/C working.

Aside from pricing, any other sage words of advice?

Thanks. beer

Posted By: rhad

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/19/15 06:08 AM

i have a 92 dakota with the v6 magnum,when i changed mine over i just added the correct oil and fitting adapters,i also replaced the filter drier and the expansion valve and one bad return hose,drew a vacuum and charged it with 134a,no leaks and it blows cold,most people think you have to replace all the o rings,etc,i just put fresh o rings/seals where i had it apart,i DID NOT drain out the old oil from the compressor
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/19/15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By Satilite73
My '93 Dakota still has its original R12 system. The compressor kicks on when A/C or defrost is selected, but, its not cold.

What's the average cost to convert over to 134?

Why not just top off the R-12? Every system leaks down with time and the R-134 will leak faster.

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/19/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Originally Posted By Satilite73

What's the average cost to convert over to 134?

Why not just top off the R-12? Every system leaks down with time and the R-134 will leak faster.

Because I don't have the means to do it myself, and the few shops I found willing to do it, for the cost, I might as well convert.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/20/15 12:52 AM

Go to the local auto parts store and buy a low side 134a fitting, screw it on and buy one can of 134 with a charge hose, turn the a/c on and charge it. U don't need to change anything but that low side fitting. Your system still has a sight glass on the drier, when the bubbles are gone it full. I do this all the time and have never had an issue. If the compressor is coming on it's not very low on Freon.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/20/15 05:46 AM

Freeze 12 (no butane) works well and you can use the existing ports with a cheap can tap charge hose.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/21/15 01:33 AM

I am with kenworth. I used to buy into the hype about you can't mix or swap them but I saw soooo many people doing it with no ill effect I say just go for it.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/21/15 03:38 AM

A "full tilt boogie" changeover is expensive. Receiver/dryer, hoses, flush, expansion valve maybe high capacity condenser. $1,000+. Personally, I would try the freeze 12 or add a can of 134 first.

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/21/15 05:00 AM

work I still have some R134a left I bought for my van. I may just give it a shot (no pun intended).

Aside from seals, is there any real difference between an R12 compressor and a R134 compressor? I was looking on RockAuto at compressor prices, and for my year truck, the compressor is about $300. But, go up two years, (same body style) and a R134 system, and the compressor is less than $200. confused shruggy

Thanks guys. beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Average cost to update A/C? - 07/21/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By kenworth_goose
Go to the local auto parts store and buy a low side 134a fitting, screw it on and buy one can of 134 with a charge hose, turn the a/c on and charge it.

Groan. runaway
© 2024 Moparts Forums