Moparts

Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - Update Fixed

Posted By: Pkeel

Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - Update Fixed - 06/15/15 04:50 PM

I need some help figuring out what I disconnected or failed to reconnect.

The story: I had oil loss and the plenum pan gasket failed. Took the weekend and I replaced the gasket. Put it all together and let the silicon gasket cure for 24 hours as per the instructions.

Today, I topped off the fluids and started the truck up. It won't run. If I sit in it and keep some pressure applied to the gas pedal it will run. I get a check engine light and as soon as I let off the gas it stalls. It is a quick stall, no sputtering or stuttering just a quick die.

I had a friend get in it and had them run the truck while I listened to it, I could not hear anything abnormal.

I can't find anything that is not connected.

Any hints or things I should look at would be greatly appreciated.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 liter Magnum.

Posted By: bobby66

Re: Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - 06/15/15 05:16 PM

When my 3.9 did that it was a failed IAC motor.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - 06/15/15 06:23 PM

Check the plug in on the IAC. It is the sensor looking thingy on the rear of the throttle body.

Re: Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - 06/15/15 06:24 PM

You could spray some WD-40 in there throught the throttle body also.
Posted By: Pkeel

Re: Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - 06/15/15 07:46 PM

It was indeed the IAC. I looked and it was not plugged in. I plugged it in and it made no difference. Threw a new one on and it is running really well again.

Thank-you bobby66 and HRDave.

The only issue left is a check engine light, but I will run it in somewhere and get it diagnosed if it does not reset on its own.

Re: Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - 06/15/15 10:58 PM

Probably from the IAC being un plugged. Un-hook the batt, touch the two wire ends together, let it sit 5 minutes and hook it back up. That will clear the IAC code.
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: Plenum Pan replaced truck won't run - 07/02/15 05:29 AM

If most likely loss it's idle memory when you had the battery unhooked. Try keeping it running and slowly remove your foot from the gas pedal may take a few minutes. Some times when you hook the battery up the idle motor retracts and is slow to extend back where it was.Carbon build up doesn't help it's respond either.
© 2024 Moparts Forums