Moparts

3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand

Posted By: 340duster340

3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/09/15 03:09 AM

has anyone used the 3M undercoating on their truck? i want to take my new ram on the beach, but want to protect it.

i was quoted at 600 to do the frame, differentials, floors and inner wheel wells....seems high, but nobody else around here even offers the service.

thanks,
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/09/15 04:45 AM

I never used their undercoating, but one option to consider is a truck bed liner. It can even be tinted to match the trucks color. It's easy to clean too.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/09/15 09:51 PM

You can do it yourself and save hundreds. www.monstaliner.com
Posted By: ahy

Re: 3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/11/15 03:55 AM

I think your best protection is a pressure wash of the underside after beach use. Undercoat can protect from rock chips to some degree but not so good for rust protection. Sometimes undercoat (and bedliner) can get moisture underneath and hide rust.

Also don't forget to air down your tires... last time I ran on a beach 12 PSI was about right. With higher pressure I did not move. An air tank to increase pressure for the ride home helps.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/11/15 03:17 PM

Yep, stay away from the beach. Saltwater will get everywhere and pressure washiing won't get it all out.

Save yourself thousands that way, enough to buy a beater truck for beach running.

Seriously.
Posted By: LilRed7879

Re: 3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/11/15 07:27 PM

I am sure you can find someone in NY but I have heard that oil coating is the preferred method to prevent rust from all the salt during winter. You have to get it done every year but it eliminates some of the concerns of stand undercoating.

This site explains it - http://nhoilundercoating.com/blog/rust-proofing-vs-oil-undercoating/
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: 3M undercoating for beach/salt/sand - 04/12/15 02:27 AM

oil coating won't work with the sand kicking up.

i have accepted the fact that a) salt will rust my truck, but also b) that my truck will be worthless any ways when it actually becomes an issue (say 7-10 years) as by then cars will run on unicorn farts and get 100mpg and anything with a v8 will be worthless.

i will post some pics when i get the undercoat on. first going to wash with this salt terminator product for prep and then spay the 3m shutz all over!
© 2024 Moparts Forums