Moparts

ConvertIng my rearend to a dually

Posted By: 79machocharger

ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 07:09 AM

Any one recommend a conversion kit to make my 2wd into a dually. Do they make a reasonably price adaptor to convert it? I already found a bed and already have the rims. I just like the looks of a dually better.

Attached picture 8454059-image.jpg
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 11:11 AM

Get a proper rear end. Don't use the adapters, they have a history of being dangerous.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 03:06 PM

And the duallys used to use a wider housing on the chevies, and possibly dodges too. Really don't know on the newer stuff...
Posted By: 73MagDuster

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 05:48 PM

Truck in pic appears to be 1500. If so, I would sell it and at least start with a 2500. The 1500 frame and suspension was not designed to deal with the additional mass from the HD rear axle and extra set of wheels/tires. This will end badly.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 07:35 PM

you will never get the right spacers on the front of a 1/2 ton due to bolt patterns. At the best you could have a dually rear and 1/2 ton front and carry 2 spares. You will not gain ANY towing capacity with this.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 09:31 PM

My buddy had a 93 2500 that someone put the adapters on to run dually rims. Truck had it on there when he bought it. I the kit came with a sticker that went inside the door stating the adapters did NOT increase GCVWR at all. And I think he did carry two different spares.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/09/15 10:03 PM

Save your money and buy a dually if that's what you want when the time is right.

I had one for 13 years and used it as a everyday driver the whole time.

The salesman was right who sold it to me, he tried selling me 4 wheel 3500 truck like the one I had before the dually because the ride was so bad in the dually. Should have gone the 4 wheel truck and not the dually.

Because at the time I was wanting/trying to pull a 49' goose race trailer and the dually was not enough for that trailer. Got a freightliner toterhome after that.

The dually ride sucks, ruff as he!!.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: ConvertIng my rearend to a dually - 03/10/15 01:42 AM

Quote:

Truck in pic appears to be 1500. If so, I would sell it and at least start with a 2500. The 1500 frame and suspension was not designed to deal with the additional mass from the HD rear axle and extra set of wheels/tires. This will end badly.

Depends on what it's intended use will be....if it's for the look....no problem....I put a one ton rear under my 79 long-bed 1500 / 318 / 727 to help carry my heavy 11' slide-in camper and tow a 16' boat combined on weekends with zero problems....I kept it single wheel....drove that truck for years problem free

Rickster
© 2024 Moparts Forums