Moparts

Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer?

Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/11/15 03:03 AM

Anyone on here do a shackle flip and tow a car trailer after?
I have a W200 I plan to lift 4" and already have front springs. Shackle flip is Roughly 4" but I'm worried that towing capacity will drop because the added Flex. Trailer is 16' and would at most haul a Clubcab Longbox. Thanks!
Posted By: dodgedon

Re: Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/11/15 04:22 AM

I have not done this type of lift but its my understanding that the side to side sway is a problem when its loaded down with a trailer. More of a control problem than weight. Now if you are using the longer Chevy springs than its a weight problem too. But as you know you can always upgrade spring packs....

Re: Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/11/15 05:25 PM

I've not heard if the sway issue. I know of a guy with a 89/90 Diesel that has Jungle Jim's shackle flip kit and he sled pulls. I'm thinking since their 1ton leafs that's his helping factor.

Re: Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/12/15 07:44 AM

I would guess it just depends on what components you are using. But in general the longer the shackle the more side to side twist or (sway) you may have.

Re: Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/12/15 09:56 AM

Never planned for a longer schackle. Just the stock one.
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/12/15 02:05 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. My crew cab is getting a Cummins 4x4 swap, and I'd like it to sit as high as a new one.

Flipping the shackle completely changes the dynamic and static loads it was designed for. It's now experiencing compression loads instead of tension, and everyone should know that metals are stronger in tension than compression. The added detractor is that the ability to deal with side loads is greatly diminished, simply because of the architecture. I plan on using custom springs to get the height I want and keep the shackles in tension.

I don't think towing a small load like a car and trailer would be too bad as long as you don't drive very fast and keep any sway under control. Make sure to keep the trailer's CG and tongue weight in check, too.

Re: Shackle Flip and towing a Loaded car trailer? - 02/13/15 12:10 AM

Quote:

Never planned for a longer schackle. Just the stock one.

I was just speaking in general.... Would you like to share with us your plan? I know there is many ways to do this.
© 2024 Moparts Forums