Moparts

65 town wagon project

Posted By: penski61

65 town wagon project - 02/09/15 06:31 AM

started a build on a 65 town wagon , picked it up a few months ago . when i bought it i was told it would take a few hours and the wagon would be back up and running just needed a starter and alt , well after i got it home that was not the case . i had to go thru all the hack wiring just to get it to where i could even try and start it , finally got that done and the engine would not turn over ( i tried by hand first but only moved it 1/4 turn ) took the new starter out and tested and was good . pulled the valve cover off (slant 6 ) and found cover was not sealed and water was all over the rocker and springs , so i pulled the head and checked the block and found the engine would turn over now but the first piston had bad rings so i decided to just pull the engine and do a v8 swap .

while i had the front end apart and engine out i decided to modify the frame to accept a crown vic front suspension that uses the aluminum cross member will all the suspension tied onto it , Im almost done with the install just need to tie in the trailing arms that come off the lower control arm . Yesterday i went to the Jy and pulled a 5.9 magnum and got it mocked up then one of the motor mount brackets just about done , hoping to finish it off get the 2nd one done , pull motor back out , box in the lower portion of the brackets then finish off the trailing arms

day we picked it up

out with the old

old motor mounts out and frame pressure washed

boxing started

frame cleaned up

suspension installed

and how it currently sits

went to the junkyard and pulled a 46rh /a518 out of a 1990 d150 , got it all cleaned up and bolted to the engine . put both back in the wagon and found i had to cut out the old trans cross member so the new trans could sit in down, once i had that cut out the other cross member was right under the very tail end of the trans so i decided to make a new removable cross member .

started on the 4 link in the rear , so far i got a section of the frame plated and upper link mounts done on both frame and axle . also went to the junk yard and found a rear sway bar off a crown vic that fits very well , just had to make the axle mounts

Re: town wagon project - 02/09/15 06:33 AM

went to the junkyard and pulled a dodge 1500 pedal assembly and brake booster , benefits will be cable gas pedal vs rod linkage and power brakes . also pulled backing plates and e-brake line from a grand cherokee do a disc brake conversion
made adapter plates which also covered the old holes then made an adapter for the steering column i picked up last week

Re: town wagon project - 02/09/15 06:35 AM

got the new gas tank mounted up

pulled a floor shifter from the junkyard to see if i could adapt it to work in the dodge

what it looks like after i modified it

pulled grand cherokee disc brake assembly for the conversion on the 8.75 . i went a little different route than most for the caliper bracket but i didn't want to have a spacer so i just cut the caliper bracket out and welded it to the tube end

Posted By: stumpy

Re: town wagon project - 02/09/15 06:59 PM

Looks good so far but you deleted the important part as to what it is and what you r plan is.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: town wagon project - 02/09/15 07:34 PM

Quote:

Looks good so far but you deleted the important part as to what it is and what you r plan is.

Wonder why he deleted it I saw it posted last night and it looked to be a great project. If I remember right it was a 1955 Town Panel wagon and I like the direction he is going
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: town wagon project - 02/09/15 07:49 PM

That's strange, I agree this really looked interesting.

Sheldon
Posted By: Robbins

Re: town wagon project - 02/09/15 11:37 PM

Wow....I agree.....it looks like it's all Mopar too. I'm using those Grand Cherokee rear disk breaks also on my Valiant.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: town wagon project - 02/11/15 06:38 AM

I believe he said 65 town wagon.
Posted By: Cooter

Re: town wagon project - 02/15/15 09:15 PM

Quote:

Wow....I agree.....it looks like it's all Mopar too. I'm using those Grand Cherokee rear disk breaks also on my Valiant.

Well, except for the Crown Vic front suspension.
Posted By: galen

Re: town wagon project - 02/16/15 12:23 AM

Cool project. Missed the first post. Thanks for sharing this.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: town wagon project - 02/16/15 01:13 AM

looks like a pretty cool build. what's up with your first post?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: town wagon project - 02/16/15 02:24 AM

3 posts and poof.?????
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: town wagon project - 02/16/15 08:00 AM

Quote:

looks like a pretty cool build. what's up with your first post?

It wasn't much really, he just showed a white town wagon and how he tore it apart. Very strange that he would just delete the first post and disappear. Proprietary information?

Re: town wagon project - 02/16/15 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, except for the Crown Vic front suspension.

Oh sun of a......your right.

Re: town wagon project - 02/26/15 06:46 AM

huh , i didn't realize the thread was still visible , most forums will delete the thread when ou delete the 1st post
i was having issues with photobucket and was going to re-post once i got the issues fixed but forgot to update since ive been busy with the project
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: town wagon project - 02/26/15 06:51 AM

Quote:

huh , i didn't realize the thread was still visible , most forums will delete the thread when ou delete the 1st post
i was having issues with photobucket and was going to re-post once i got the issues fixed but forgot to update since ive been busy with the project

Understandable once you post more pics and give us some more info.

Re: town wagon project - 02/26/15 07:09 AM

1st post fixed and more pics of the progress
made a bracket for the steering column and got it mounted into place , then got the steering figured out to the steering rack

then i got the frame out and cleaned up , cut the rivets out for the body mounts so the brackets could be cleaned up. frame along with body mounts , links and a few cross members are at powder coat and should have everything by Friday

tore down the 742 case and cleaned everything up then put all new bearings in and checked the pattern . then cleaned up the inside of the housing as well as outside and got it painted

while the rear axle was drying pulled the crown vic suspension apart and painted the x member . once that was dry started putting back together

Re: town wagon project - 02/26/15 07:37 AM

so the purpose of the build is to have something different all the other vehicles we have are 4x4 (1) dedicated crawler (1) dd/ camping rig and (1) tow rig plus i wanted to try my hand at putting a spin on something classic. being a cruiser we wanted to be comfortable and bring the pups with us so took the wife to the jy and picked out seats , scored some decent seats out of an 98 durango

decided to add sheet metal for the bench seat instead of just bolting it to the plywood wood platform in the back .

dogs testing the truck out

thats it for pics tonight but i should have more tomorrow of the axle put back together as well as the crown vic front end
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: town wagon project - 02/26/15 02:43 PM

Dog tested and approved.

I like it better than a Subaru.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 03:41 AM

That's funny. I just saw that comercial for the first time about a minute ago.
Can't wait to get home tommorow night so I can take a look at the photos.
Glad this thread was updated. Seems to be a fun build.

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 05:24 AM

got the frame and brackets back from powder coat . got the crown vic front end put on as well as fuel line and brake line

Posted By: JDMopar

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 05:28 PM

I like the Crown Vic front suspension! Does the part of the original frame that it bolts to need to be level? If I ever stumble into another 57 Dodge 1/2 ton with a big back glass, a Crown Vic unit was my plan! Keep up the great work.

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 05:35 PM

sweet
Posted By: dogdays

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 06:08 PM

Just one plea...PLEASE oh please keep it Turf Green! My '64Dog would like to know that it has company on the road, even if far away.

Re: Crown Vic front end, will you be able to use normal looking wheels with it? The only thing that causes me to question this swap is the width and the fact that the late model CVs had the ugliest steel wheels known to man, even uglier than the wheels on an '84 Subaru wagon,

R.

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 07:41 PM

lol not sure the paint scheme yet but doubt it will be green
these are crown vic wheels , i didn't think they were bad

however the crown vic is the same width as old suspension so i just need some wheels with about 4.5" backspace
as far as being level for the frame it needs to be pretty close but the biggest thing is to make sure you can get the caster to about 6.5" degrees which is done by the trailing arm
Posted By: poorboy

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 09:28 PM

Lots of guys talk about the CV subframe, and it looks pretty good under your town wagon. I wonder if it might be possible for you to get us a measurement for the width, from wheel bolt on surface to wheel bolt on surface, so we can have an idea what else it might fit well under?
Are there certain years that are better then others? They made CV for a lot of years, I can't imagine they didn't change something along the way that will help or hinder us. Gene
Posted By: stumpy

Re: town wagon project - 02/27/15 10:09 PM

I have just one thing to say. Dude you got hella skills.

Re: town wagon project - 02/28/15 01:52 AM

the aluminum setup like i have started in 03 and is roughly 67" wide
the biggest thing is the cross member itself fitting on the outside of the frame . you can see i had to a lot of modifications on my frame to get it to fit , outside to outside of the frame needs to be 35" wide or narrower

Re: town wagon project - 03/01/15 06:47 AM

got the shift knob in from american shifter , made a union out of poly rod to go from 3/8 x 24 to 1/2x 13 then drilled out the center for the rod go thru for the push button . still need to weld the nut on all the way then grind it to match the diameter of the tubing

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: town wagon project - 03/01/15 05:11 PM

Very nice work, and I dig where this is headed!

Re: town wagon project - 03/02/15 03:33 AM

Crown vic suspension is completely installed now , had to make brackets for the rear trailing arms off the lca's. Also pulled the hand parking brake out because when set it pulls out and up and gets it the way of getting out. Installed a foot brake I pulled from the durango we got the seats out of

Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: town wagon project - 03/02/15 04:25 PM

Awesome build - keep up the good work

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 03:38 AM

thanks everyone i appreciate it , now i have a question to ask . what would you do for fuel when starting from scratch . mechanical fuel pump or electric in line pump, ill be converting the 5.9 magnum to carb so i could go either way but it will be a little more expensive to do the conversion for mechanical fuel pump on the 5.9 vs in line fuel pump however with electric just means more wiring
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 04:39 AM

Why not go fuel injected (either stock or after market)?

From what I've read, an in tank pump would probably be best, quieter, runs cooler.

Today's gas boils when too close to a hot cup of coffee. Given your location, I'd be doing all I can to prevent heat in the fuel system.

Just my to give this a

Love the build! Wish I had the skills to something similar.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 04:59 AM

looks great aaron. if it was mine, i'd be doing an in tank fuel pump, with regulator and return line at the intake. seeing your skills, i know you have it handled.

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 05:15 AM

the tank i have does not have the ability to run an in tank pump and its really the only tank i found that works for the dodge short of buying an expensive custom made tank (not sure if cutting an in tank pump is an option). im leaning towards a mechanical fuel pump because of the simplicity and dont have to worry about overheating but an electric fuel pump would end up being cheaper
i wanted to do a carb setup vs efi cause i have enough vehicles with computers and wanted something with bare bones electrical
edit: i did find this
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=article/article_ID=6/art6.htm

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 06:14 AM

The magnum engines don't have provisions for mechanical pumps. Mopar went to electric pumps in 86 or 87, and motors made since about 1988 don't have provisions for mechanical pumps. It would be a major pita to adapt one in. I'd go for an electric pump at the tank if you can't put one inside the tank. The electric pumps are a little more noisy outside the tank, but its easy to get used to. The start problems electric pumps solve is worth any noise they may make.

I haven't run a mechanical pump on anything for 15 years or more. In all that time, I had 1 electric pump fail when I got into crappy gas once. For several years after that, I carried a spare electric pump. The only times I used the spares was when someone we were traveling with had mechanical pumps fail. Gene

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 06:39 AM

mopar performance makes a conversion kit for the 5.9 to go to mechanical fuel pump but not really that cheap , it requires a new cam but i planned on going with a new one anyway.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performance/...872455/10002/-1

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 07:56 PM

I also do not understand going to extra lengths to avoid using an electric pump.
But, as a pump professional I think more about the physical realities of pumping than the average guy.

IMHO if more people really understood how the mechanical pump works, they would be much less in love with them.

R.

Re: town wagon project - 03/03/15 08:46 PM

its just one less thing that is electric however i will be goin with an electric pump because it will be cheaper to do than the conversion , i wont be able to do an in tank pump though so just need to find a decent pump that is relatively quiet and will last

Re: town wagon project - 03/06/15 05:53 AM

back on its own weight and rolling

Re: town wagon project - 03/13/15 06:47 AM

not much of an update but got the gas tank in , fuel pump and plumbing done in the back of the wagon . started on the front seat mounts and got the passenger side done since the sliders remove pretty easy on an non electric seat the drivers side was a little different with the electric motor

Re: town wagon project - 03/13/15 09:34 PM

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/stealth-fuel-systems/page/4/

The Aeromotive Phantom system is rather expensive, but it'll go in your tank and problem solved.

I use a Carter Strip Pump on a car I've owned since the '70s. I would have used theP4070 Street pump except I needed it that day and all the speed shop had was the Strip pump. So I also run a pressure regulator. I mounted the pump as low as was safe, right next to the tank. I've never had any problems with it. One wire from a switched hot location on the fuse box is all it takes to run it.

I don't understand why people are so caught up in having a mechanical pump. The lever only sucks the fuel into the pump, the spring on the other side of the diaphragm is what pushes it into the carb. In the racing world there is a guy who makes a little piston pump, that's kind of neat as it bolts up to the fuel pump boss and gets its energy from the FP eccentric.

But by and large getting the pump into a pusher configuration is better than having it suck fuel through the line.

Way back, the fuel was pumped into the carb by pressurizing the tank. That was one of the jobs of the riding mechanic in the Indy 500. Maybe we should go back to that.

R.

Re: town wagon project - 03/14/15 03:44 PM

not sure why you say i need the phantom pump , this setup should work fine and heck of a lot cheaper than $1100
Posted By: rapidtransitrick

Re: town wagon project - 03/16/15 12:44 AM

nice build.it's always nice to see another avenue for a modern suspension. the ride should be improved quite a bit

Re: town wagon project - 03/29/15 08:40 PM

nothing but a shell , made a body dolly to roll it around to get blasted then eventually body and paint

Re: town wagon project - 04/14/15 04:24 AM

finally got the motor back from the builder along with the re-built transmission and torque converter . spent all last weekend re-assembling the engine and mating the engine to trans

also ended up needing smaller coilovers in the back so the ones i took off i was able to adapt to work up front on the crown vic suspension
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: town wagon project - 04/14/15 11:02 PM

Going to be a sweet ride.....nice work....!!!!!

Rickster

Re: town wagon project - 06/21/15 05:22 AM

little bit of an update got the body over to a shop and found out there was about $6000 worth of repairs that needed to be done , price also included sand blasting and primer . so i found a 61 locally and took the body off that which was in a lot better shape and had not been worked on too much . the floor pans were rotted out so i went ahead and replaced those myself and modified the trans tunnel cover to fit . one i got that done i frenched in tail lights and turn signals then test fitted the 61 body on 65 frame and cut slots in the rear panel for the new bumper brackets i made . I wasn't a fan of the original rear bumper so i found a larger chevy truck bumper that worked out pretty well , the license plate will be sunk into one of the door and fuel filler will take its spot . one i got the body sitting on the frame i put on of the fenders on so i could figure out what to do about a radiator , got the size so i went ahead and made a shroud for the volvo fan and relay i pulled from the jy

Re: town wagon project - 06/22/15 08:33 PM

Wish I could find a 58 town wagon here locally, or even a 58 pickup. Here the bottom 6" would be non-existent and any surface that could have held water would be rusted away, if you could even find one.

You guys in the dry west have it so good! Gene

Re: town wagon project - 08/10/15 11:30 PM

core support after getting blasted and powder coated , trans lines ran and some electrical

body back on the frame after getting blasted and primered

and start up of the engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qoGr9LLiNA
Posted By: savoy64

Re: town wagon project - 08/11/15 03:34 AM

i think any mustang II 17 inch wheel would fit---should be plenty of options...
© 2024 Moparts Forums