Moparts

How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full

Posted By: Challenger 1

How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/30/14 10:58 PM

Time??
What's the longest that you have had it plugged in for?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/30/14 11:52 PM

never plug either of mine in (have to cycle the key once in a while)Dont see why you couldnt leave them plugged in 24/7, its a low wattage heater so no boiling should occur.
If you did plug one in the only reson I can see for unplugging it would be save on the electric bill and to prevent pulling the socket out of the wall when you drive away which for me is teh biggest reason not to plug one in,
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 02:56 AM

I always plugged mine overnight when it got real cold out. I always leave my vehicles plugged at work even when not that cold, no reason not to.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 03:12 AM

I never plug my Dodge-Cummins in, that's what the GRID heater is for. My work Cummins and Volvo get plugged in if it gets down to zero Fahrenheit and the old Ford and GM diesels needed plugging in below about 10 fahrenheit it seems.
I've started a Dodge Cummins at -40 not plugged in overnight.

Sheldon
Posted By: superwrench

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 03:28 AM

Quote:

I never plug my Dodge-Cummins in, that's what the GRID heater is for. My work Cummins and Volvo get plugged in if it gets down to zero Fahrenheit and the old Ford and GM diesels needed plugging in below about 10 fahrenheit it seems.
I've started a Dodge Cummins at -40 not plugged in overnight.

Sheldon

As he says...A Cummins will start at almost absurd low temperatures without the block heater plugged in. I use mine occasionally, but it's more for the convenience of having a luke warm block so the windows defrost quicker. We get the "foggy" cold on the coast and the vehicle is usually covered with thick frost on a -10 morning. And diesels take frigging forever to warm up....

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 04:31 AM

-25c or below and my 24v wouldn't start if not plugged. She'd just suck the batteries dry. I liked having it plugged anyway, would warm up and get some heat flowing way quicker.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 06:16 AM

They do take forever to warm up even with a covered rad and on high idle. That's why I recommend a gas pickup for just about anybody these days. My nephew has a Webasto on his 05 and that's the answer for sure but not cheap.

Sheldon
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 05:59 PM

All of the newer diesels can start unassisted at -40 pretty easily. The block heater helps with engine wear though- it takes much longer than you'd expect to build oil pressure at those temps. If you plug it in, even if it's just for an hour or two before you'd want to start the truck, the oil will flow much easier and the crank speed will be faster.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 06:54 PM

I used to until the plug melted down one day. I do not need a garage fire just to keep the diesel warm. My '03 starts very easily in the coldest weather we have had without plugging it in.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 07:06 PM

I plug mine in before I go to bed if it's going to get to 40 degrees or colder overnight. Not for the truck but for me, nearly instant heat. BRRR.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 12/31/14 09:54 PM

My first winter with a diesel. And it's been mild. Just got the cord for the heater, haven't needed it yet, but I'm looking forward to having heat in the truck right away instead of having to drive 15 minutes before the temp needle even moves.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/01/15 02:38 AM

My 92 left me stranded on the road a couple of times because I couldn't plug it in at a motel. My 04 never needed to be plugged in. At work we plug the Internationals in (MaxxForce junk) 24/7 and only unplug them when we are ready to drive them.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/01/15 09:40 PM

I leave mine plugged in all winter. It was -5F here earlier this week.
Posted By: Michael

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/02/15 05:19 AM

I keep mine plugged in too.
Posted By: Lugnutz

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/02/15 10:08 PM

I try not to drive mine in the winter so they sit unplugged unless I need to drive one, then I plug in night before.

Both 12V one is a 1st gen the other is a 2nd gen.

Rhino, hard to believe your 1st gen wouldn't start. I've left mine sit all day while hunting in -30 and come back to and it fires up. Shakes and rattles for a bit but then smooth's itself right out. It just has to spin a quarter turn and they fire....

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/03/15 12:57 AM

Yeah but a first gen with only a single battery, if that starts to get marginal at all you're in trouble!
Posted By: Lugnutz

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/03/15 04:23 AM

Quote:

Yeah but a first gen with only a single battery, if that starts to get marginal at all you're in trouble!

I don't let it get marginal. I do live here and am familiar with our temps and weather...
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/03/15 04:23 AM

My 94 12 valve sat in a parking lot for a full day in -36c, started up no hesitation. My newer 2006, same deal, but I plug them in when home.. I think a lot had to do with the fuel grade and quality, if its really winter blended fuel it won't gel up.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/03/15 07:18 AM

I plug my '95 in when the temperature gets below freezing. If I don't plug it in, it starts, but it takes forever to warm up enough to idle smoothly.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/03/15 07:38 PM

Quote:

Yep, mine even had a new battery in it! It could have been a fuel issues also, had to have it towed into a heated garage the to thaw out the first time it happened.

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/08/15 04:58 PM

I have 10 trucks that I plug in here at work. Recently had new outlets installed with a timer and a temp probe. Power does not come on until it get's under 35° and the timer turns them on at 3am and goes off at quitting time around 4pm. I had it turning off at 10 am but then we needed a truck at 1 pm and it was too cold and would not start.

So today one of them didn't start, I check the breaker and it is tripped. Each truck has it's own 20 amp breaker, I'm thinking a big battery charger they used yesterday tripped it? We have only one outlet per box so they can only plug in one truck per outlet, no duplex outlets.

So anyway I sit here waiting for the truck to warm up. Already have the battery charger booster hooked up and it almost started just before after 1 hour and 45 minutes being plugged in. So I'd say at -5° it takes 2 hours to heat up a DT 466.
Man it sucks when they won't start.

I ordered a block heater on my gas powered pick up truck last year, that was nice this morning along with the remote start. Helps with my 1.4 mile drive to work.

BTW the block heaters draw 1500 watts, just like having your toaster on full time.

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/08/15 05:25 PM

Quote:

I always plugged mine overnight when it got real cold out. I always leave my vehicles plugged at work even when not that cold, no reason not to.

I didn't like paying for electric full time.

It takes longer than 2 hours to heat up a DT 466 when it was -5 last night. It's kicking but not starting yet, 15 more minutes I'm hoping.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/08/15 07:29 PM

Quote:

never plug either of mine in (have to cycle the key once in a while)Dont see why you couldnt leave them plugged in 24/7, its a low wattage heater so no boiling should occur.
If you did plug one in the only reson I can see for unplugging it would be save on the electric bill and to prevent pulling the socket out of the wall when you drive away which for me is teh biggest reason not to plug one in,

There are breakaway connections made just to prevent such a thing from happening.

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/09/15 01:20 AM

It took 2 hours 30 minutes for enough heat to build in a 2004 DT-466 from a -5° morning. It ran all day long with 7 other trucks and they all made it back safe. Thank you Lord.

Hopefully one more day to get through and then it warms up around here.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/09/15 01:21 AM

My M715 is plugged in to a timer

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/09/15 01:37 AM

Quote:

My M715 is plugged in to a timer

Cool deal, it bothers me when it's plugged in for more than like 12-24 hours. But then when it's this cold I'd be good for any amount of time just as long as the the truck starts. lol

I did not get through the day trouble free, one of my trucks air dryer purge valve froze up and would not build air. Even with me on my back under the truck in the middle of the road with a hand held trigger torch with map gas in the tank. I put a lot of heat into the dryer but the purge valve would not close. Had to have the truck towed back to the shop and it's inside thawing out right now. Luckily this happened at 4 PM after the truck ran for 9 hours and we got most of our work done for the day. The air temp was and is dropping hard right now. Not uncommon at all to see freeze ups at sun set when its getting really cold.

I just got here about a 1/2 hour ago and I just got back to the shop. I was outside all day today since 5:30 am.

I just got back from the parts house with a new purge valve/heater and a whole new dryer. I usually keep them here, I got "caught with my pants down" Not sure which I'm going to replace yet. It's gonna get done here in the next hour or so. The truck has to run tomorrow and the next. I do whatever whenever it takes to keep them going...for 30 years now.

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/09/15 03:37 AM

Made 2 repairs, replaced just the purge valve/heater, 3 10mm bolts, grease new o rings and clean out the inside of the dryer. (pull out old o rings) and stick it in there. Done. Replaced a explosion proof switch for a hose reel also. Checked air in tires, checked brake adjustment and pressure washed off the whole outside of the truck inside. Now have the fan I use during the summer is running all night long with the heaters and the truck will be dry by 7am. Can't send a wet truck out in this cold. Driver will be happy and me too. Time to go home and do it all again tomorrow.
Posted By: hulmule

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/12/15 01:54 AM

I put mine on a timer. Saves on electric bill, plus warms oil so it saves on engine wear. Cant plug in at work and she starts fine. Like I say, do you jump out of bed and hit the ground running ? I don't I like to have a cup of coffee and then get moving. The truck is no difference, cranks nice, warms faster. I swear the grille smiles at me for it ! lol
Posted By: Twostick

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/13/15 07:34 AM

Most block heaters will do about 80% in 1-1.5 hrs. IMHO if it won't go at 80%, it ain't going anyway.

I don't usually plug in my N14 Cummins until it gets to single digits and it fires right up no arguments after about an hour. I have fired it unaided at -15 but it makes quite a fuss.

If I might suggest Gary, maybe check the current draw on the starter on that DT. At -5, in my experience it should have fired albeit with some difficulty unaided. Plugged in for an hour it should have fired like you just shut it off. It is only 466 cubes.

I think you might find that the starter is drawing a good bit north of 200 amps.

Kevin

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/13/15 09:57 PM

Quote:

Most block heaters will do about 80% in 1-1.5 hrs. IMHO if it won't go at 80%, it ain't going anyway.

I don't usually plug in my N14 Cummins until it gets to single digits and it fires right up no arguments after about an hour. I have fired it unaided at -15 but it makes quite a fuss.

If I might suggest Gary, maybe check the current draw on the starter on that DT. At -5, in my experience it should have fired albeit with some difficulty unaided. Plugged in for an hour it should have fired like you just shut it off. It is only 466 cubes.

I think you might find that the starter is drawing a good bit north of 200 amps.

Kevin

I hear you, and can check it. Got one right in front of me right now in the shop. but I can pretty much guarantee you that none of my DTs would start without being plugged in at -5°. They haven't since 1985 when we got our first DT and not even new.

The new electronic DTs with the hi pressure oil pump will not start in the cold. Our old mechanical DTs maybe. That's been my experience with them?

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/16/15 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

I hear you, and can check it. Got one right in front of me right now in the shop. but I can pretty much guarantee you that none of my DTs would start without being plugged in at -5°. They haven't since 1985 when we got our first DT and not even new.

The new electronic DTs with the hi pressure oil pump will not start in the cold. Our old mechanical DTs maybe. That's been my experience with them?

Makes sense. Those HEUI engines need cranking speed to make oil pressure to inject with.

Have you considered a Webasto diesel fired engine heater?

http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/truck/heating-systems/products/thermo-pro-50-eco/

Kevin
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/16/15 05:04 PM

My CRD Liberty I leave plugged in over night, and basically whenever I know Im gonna need it, every day LOL Why not? easier on the starter, battery, fuel system, and everything likes to work better a little wormed up. I know I do.

My 91 Cummins started at -20 a few years ago as I didn't know the block heater cord had an open in it. I fixed that and it started a lot easier from there on.

Seems silly not to plug them in to me.

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/16/15 08:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Makes sense. Those HEUI engines need cranking speed to make oil pressure to inject with.

Have you considered a Webasto diesel fired engine heater?

http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/truck/heating-systems/products/thermo-pro-50-eco/

Kevin

Most around here have went to Espar heaters. We're finding they heat longer on less fuel and are lasting longer.

Re: How many folks keep there diesel truck plugged in full - 01/20/15 05:41 PM

Quote:

My CRD Liberty I leave plugged in over night, and basically whenever I know Im gonna need it, every day LOL Why not? easier on the starter, battery, fuel system, and everything likes to work better a little wormed up. I know I do.

My 91 Cummins started at -20 a few years ago as I didn't know the block heater cord had an open in it. I fixed that and it started a lot easier from there on.

Seems silly not to plug them in to me.

I don't think there is any question that an engine starts easier plugged in.

I think the question is, does it need to be plugged in continuously and I would say that in most cases the answer is no. If you leave for work at 7AM every morning, put it on a timer to come on at 5:30 and it will start the same as if it was on all night.

If it is a randomly used second vehicle, you could just put it on a timer that runs 20 min per hour which would be good in all but the coldest weather (like -40ish) or just plug it in about a 1/2 hour before you want to leave.

A 1000w heater uses a noticeable amount of power on your electric bill $$.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums