Moparts

fuel pump

Posted By: bonefish

fuel pump - 12/29/14 07:43 PM

2004 CTD,where is the fuel pump.it has a lift pump and I always thought that ment the fuel pump was external.but I cant seem to locate it. THANKS,AJ
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: fuel pump - 12/29/14 10:05 PM

Sorry, but your fuel (lift) pump is in the tank. I had a 2002 and its pump was on the side of the motor behind the fuel filter housing. Mopar's answer to the problem (weak, failing lift pumps causing failure of the VP44 injection pump)was to put it in the tank. This makes sense, in that they could install an assembly in one piece on the production line, but if yours fails then you have to drop the tank, fish it out and install a new OEM unit. A better solution is to mount a pump (like a FASS DDRP) on the frame rail behind a debris shield so that it could be serviced without dropping the tank. A lot cheaper, too. That is what I did to my 2002 and it is still going.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: fuel pump - 12/30/14 01:00 AM

If its an early 2004 it may have an external pump attached to the back of the fuel filter canister. A lot of them were "upgraded" to the in-tank pump as they failed.
Posted By: VL21

Re: fuel pump - 12/30/14 04:24 AM

And it is easier to move the bed than drop a tank.

Especially when it has fuel in it.

Re: fuel pump - 12/30/14 03:33 PM

Ok I think ive got the terminoligy down.what they call the lift pump is actually the fuel pump.mine is external,because ive already had it replaced once.Now 5 thou.mi. later its acting up again.its a Autozone unit.is there a more QUALITY unit that can be purchased?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: fuel pump - 12/31/14 12:18 AM

Look here
www.bluechipdiesel.com

The lift pump is the low pressure pump that supplies the fuel from the tank to the High pressure pump. The high pressure pump is what supplies the injectors.

Re: fuel pump - 12/31/14 04:31 AM

Quote:

Look here
www.bluechipdiesel.com

The lift pump is the low pressure pump that supplies the fuel from the tank to the High pressure pump. The high pressure pump is what supplies the injectors.

that's a good web site,they seem to know their stuff.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: fuel pump - 12/31/14 05:19 AM

Just recently purchased a Pressure pump from them, great service and product.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: fuel pump - 12/31/14 07:29 AM

Genos is also another option for a transfer pump.

http://www.genosgarage.com/Fuel-System/departments/92/

Re: fuel pump - 12/31/14 02:55 PM

Quote:

Genos is also another option for a transfer pump.

http://www.genosgarage.com/Fuel-System/departments/92/

these are some great web sites.im a DIY kinda guy and my truck is getting some age to it.i guess my next big investment should be a scan tool.
© 2024 Moparts Forums