Moparts

Ram leveling kit

Posted By: cdstl

Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 05:09 PM

I have been considering a 4x4 truck anywhere from a 1998 to a 2006. The question that I have is which ones still run torsion bars and which were switched to coil springs. From what little research I have done it appears that they ran torsion bars on the 1500s for a few years into the 2000s with the 2500s getting the springs.

Thanks
Posted By: dodgedon

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 05:34 PM

none of the 94-2006 1500 2500 trucks have torsion bars. just the Dakota and Durango's
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 05:53 PM

What are the 2002 and up 1500's using if not torsion bars. I never looked.

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 05:56 PM

Quote:

none of the 94-2006 1500 2500 trucks have torsion bars. just the Dakota and Durango's

OK, good news. I have a '96 Dakota and am aware of the TBs. I have been looking at a bigger truck and decided to look into the kits. On youtube a guy is claiming to level an '03 1500 and he is messing with TBs.

What is the preferred method for leveling, using a spacer or taller springs?

Thanks

edit: After looking some more I am seeing TB keys that are available for the '02-'05 1500 4x4s. The guy on the video claimed to be doing an '03 1500 4x4 using a different TB key. I doubt that they have coil springs as well.

http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension-lift-kits/dodge-suspension-lift-kits.html

Anyone?

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 07:08 PM

Yes, I stand corrected the 2002 + 1500 does have torsion bars
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 08:26 PM

topguncustomz.com I got my 2 inch leveling kit from them

Attached picture 8372548-IMG_0260.jpg
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 08:36 PM

You will be disappointed if you truly want the truck level.

All of these kits are advertised as 2 to 2 1/2" and thats' exactly what you get: the front-end riding higher than the back.

Attached picture 8372559-level4.jpg

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/24/14 08:38 PM

Attached picture 8372564-level1.jpg
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 01:53 AM

I have air bags in the rear to help when pulling my trailer, so I can keep the truck level if I am towing or not. Even with out any air in the bags it sits level. When I bought the truck new it sat higher in the rear and I didn`t like the look so I put in the leveling kit, I only wish I would have went to a 2 1/2 instead of a 2 kit.

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 05:18 PM

Have any of you used the aftermarket TB keys to level a 1500. Here is an example of a truck that I was looking at and it is WAY low in the front.

Thanks

Attached picture 8373306-2003Ram.jpg
Posted By: wedgeheaded

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 05:44 PM

I have an 06 1500 QC 4x4. 06 was the first year to get the coils. I used Bilstein adjustable shocks set on the highest setting. Worked great. If you go that way, do your self a favor and buy new lower bolts. You'll most likely have to cut the factory ones to get them out. I later added a 3" Zone body lift with gap guards. Very happy with the results.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 06:21 PM

If you plan on towing a trailer leave it ALONE!

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 06:26 PM

Quote:

I have an 06 1500 QC 4x4. 06 was the first year to get the coils.

I was wrong above, But 94 was the first year a 1500 4x4 had coils. It looks like they went to TB and back to coils

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 08:36 PM

Quote:

If you plan on towing a trailer leave it ALONE!

Just looking for a bitchin ride.

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 10:58 PM

Yep, nothin' sez bitchin' like cupped tires, death wobble, wheel alignment problems, headlights pointing at the sky and looking like you have 1500 pounds of rocks in the back all the time.
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/25/14 11:00 PM

If you do not tow with the truck or carry heavy weight in the back they are fine. But if you do use the truck to do the mentioned things above the rear end will drop and sag. If you want to raise the truck a bit without going full lift kit, the level kit and same size blocks in the rear is an easy an cost effective way to do it. Dont go over 2" in the front or it will sit nose high.

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/26/14 05:55 AM

Quote:

Yep, nothin' sez bitchin' like cupped tires, death wobble, wheel alignment problems, headlights pointing at the sky and looking like you have 1500 pounds of rocks in the back all the time.

Yea, ok, whatever. Who said anything about a 4" body and a 6" suspension lift and 35", or larger, tires which would certainly cause all of the above.

I said a LEVELING kit that would LEVEL the truck and nothing else. I wanted to know which trucks, if anyone knew, used TBs and which used springs and I found that out. Then I was wondering if anyone had used the TB version of leveling kit and was also wondering how it worked out.

I've seen trucks with the front end up in the air like some of the pics above and would try to avoid it. I am just looking at trucks and trying to figure out which models would pose the biggest pain in the butt to level up. Which would most certainly be the TB trucks vs. the coil spring trucks. I've got a buddy experiencing all of the problems you mentioned because he did what I mentioned.

Geesuz

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/26/14 07:43 AM

Sounds like You looked at the photos I attached but ignored what I wrote in the same entry.

Fine.

Learn the hard way, Noobie. $$
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/26/14 08:37 PM

Quote:

Have any of you used the aftermarket TB keys to level a 1500. Here is an example of a truck that I was looking at and it is WAY low in the front.

Thanks

Not trying to be a smart azz, but when I look at this truck I don't see the front too low, I see the rear too high. Specially for a 1500

Attached picture 8374289-2high.jpg

Re: Ram leveling kit - 12/27/14 05:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Not trying to be a smart azz, but when I look at this truck I don't see the front too low, I see the rear too high. Specially for a 1500

Arthur, I agree. It's not near me but it is a 120k, '03 with a 4.7 and a clutch. It looks really clean in the pictures. Here's the URL: http://easttexas.craigslist.org/ctd/4809795728.html

My Dakota is clean but after living in the rust belt all of these years it's probably time for it to go.

Thanks
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Ram leveling kit - 01/03/15 12:51 AM

I know its a different truck altogether, but, I have an '11 1500 Quad cab short bed. Of course its coil spring rear.. I got it with 27,000 on it and it sat like the white one in the pic.. STOCK..I 1st noticed that the headlights sucked at night.. too "dim".. I adjusted them higher and could actually see down the road with the low beams on.. Go figure.. I knew I was going to get taller tires eventually, so I started looking into levelling kits. I went from a 265 to a 285 tire and added an "as advertised" 2" front level kit. The kit raised my front end up a total of 1 13/16". I got new tires and had a bad tie rod, so I changed that out and got an alignment. The specs for toe were out of spec due to the tie rod but the caster/camber were in spec, IN MY CASE..Then I had to readjust the headlights.. .. I have had slight feathering of the right front, which is also the same side that got the tie rod. I rotate the tires every 7000-8000 miles.. I'm coming up on my 3rd rotation in the spring. NO death wobble, terribly worn tires,etc etc..When I rotate them again, I'm going to get the alignment checked. I haul a Kawasaki 360 4 wheeler in the bed on occasion, I have hauled a Jeep Wrangler on a 16' full deck car trailer and I also have a smaller utility trailer I haul scrap and another 4 wheeler with.. The ONLY time, I have had the rear sitting lower than the front is when I have a four wheeler in the bed AND one in the smaller trailer..Once I change the drop ball adapter out to a different drop, I think it'll be fine.

small note.... Mine now sits taller than a stock Ram Outdoorsman Edition of the same year..
© 2024 Moparts Forums