Moparts

Axle help

Posted By: 19SuperBee70

Axle help - 12/01/14 02:27 AM

Thinking of swapping axles in my M-37. Looked at an '89 dodge 3/4 ton today. I'm guessing back is a 60 and front is 44 but not sure. Have the vin but not sure that will say. It's a small block auto trans. My question is it looks like the front axle has a vacuum disconnect. Would dodge have them in this year? Whats funny is the axle has manual hubs? I thought you had one or the other? Or would this be something someone added?

If it is a disconnect would i still want it? Not looking to do anything crazy with the truck, mainly looking for gearing and brakes and better choice of tire.

Also it looked like a throttle body injected engine. Couldn't see a vac can on distributor either. Guessing it's computer controlled. How easy is it to keep fuel injection? Would definitely switch to a manual. Would that be a new comp also? Or swap to carb and new dist? My old m had a 318 carbed i swapped in and ran well but that was years ago.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Axle help - 12/01/14 03:17 AM

Yeah, somebody probably added the locking hubs to that cad axle. I did that to one of mine because I didn't like the idea of the spider gears going nuts on long highway trips. Tbi works great when there is no problem with the system.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Axle help - 12/01/14 03:26 AM

Yep, I'm thinking someone along the way added the manual hub locks, either because there was an issue with the cad, or they preferred the manual locks.

As I remember, all Mopars after 88 became injected. There were some issues with the earlier throttle body injection (86-88) but I thought most of those issues were corrected by 88 or 89. When the system worked, it worked pretty well. Back then, if it had any issues, it was often replaced with a carb & electronic ignition. Gene
Posted By: 19SuperBee70

Re: Axle help - 12/01/14 04:35 AM

Do you know if the TBI needs any input from the trans or transfer case? I would switch to a NP435, not sure if I would need to add a speed signal.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Axle help - 12/02/14 01:03 AM

Quote:

Do you know if the TBI needs any input from the trans or transfer case? I would switch to a NP435, not sure if I would need to add a speed signal.

Sorry, too far back in my foggy memory to say for sure. Gene
© 2024 Moparts Forums