Moparts

Rear glass for my '89 D150

Posted By: roe

Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 11/29/14 04:00 AM

I can pull a 1 piece rear glass for my truck, '89 D150, from the j/y for $35. Is there a certain year/range that I have to pull from or can I pretty much pull from anything from '72-'93?
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 11/29/14 09:36 AM

No, stay closer to your model year. Although it doesn'r look like it, there are differences in sizes. Although I'd suspect that any glass from a "square roof" (1981 to 1993?) will work, verses the "round roof" of the trucks pre 1981.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 11/29/14 08:20 PM

Grab the rubber surround just in case it's different too.

Fair amount of effort to do, but I changed out my "looking-through-prison-bars" slider for a one-piece window. Much better. I tinted it off the truck and it turned out pretty good. Gets rid of the sun beating all the time feeling in these miserble old girls.

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 11/29/14 08:24 PM

Theres a couple of '86 models out there and an '87 IIRC. I should be good to go with ine of them right? And I'll just call a glass man for install.

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 12/14/14 11:18 PM

Decided to try the install myself since removal was so easy. I got the glass and gasket from an '86 or '87 so I should be good there.There was a rubber bead/rope that ran the length of this groove you see in the gasket. But even without it the glass was in there nice and solid. I pulled it with the gasket on the glass. Do I install it the same? And can I get just the rubber bead that goes in that groove from somewhere?

Also I took some advoce.from on here and tinted it with the glass out of the car. It was fairly easy.

Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 12/14/14 11:30 PM

You can get that rope seal from a glass shop or multiple places online. The last window I pulled just had a solid gasket and what looked like the rope was just strip of glued on chrome.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 12/14/14 11:42 PM

I bought the chrome front lock strip for a truck from Ebay. I think it was $35 shipped. 16' long and has the clip that bridges the ends. Brand is C.R.Laurence co. Part# wls913. Never got around to using it. They had the black also. Might check and see if they still sell the lock strip.

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 12/15/14 02:09 AM

I got it installed, went pretty smooth. I don't have the lock seal but its in there really solid until I get one. I'm going to try the j/y first since I'm going there tomorrow anyway.

I think it looks tons better with the solid glass instead of the sliding window. And my visibility is much better out of my rearview mirror.

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Rear glass for my '89 D150 - 12/15/14 03:35 PM

I got a black lock bead you can have.

my glassman has a nifty screwdriver thing with a pointed loop of metel on the end of it.

you thred it through the end then use it to slide in the groove to open it laying the round rubber lock bead right in the groove as you go.

used dish soap and a food grade spary oil working on the rubber gaskets/windsheild/back glass of my trucks.

I put a couple solid back galss in and did the gasket on the glass then sitting it in the hole working 3/4 of it in then roll the last bit of the gasket around the upper corners by hand inside the cab with a plastic/nylon flat stick. (looks like a flat wooden carpenter pencil) wood paint sticks come in handy also.

just go slow and easy

shoot me your addy
© 2024 Moparts Forums