Moparts

How to get brighter headlights?

Posted By: kenworth_goose

How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 12:51 AM

I know there is something I can buy to get both the dim and bright lights on at the same time but can't seem to find it. Help. I want my lights on my 99 ram brighter.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 01:06 AM

Have you tried Sylvania silver star bulbs? How clear are the lenses? There is the problem of blinding oncoming drivers which you don't really want to do.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 01:49 AM

you want a brite box.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/headlight.htm
Posted By: shanker

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Have you tried Sylvania silver star bulbs? How clear are the lenses? There is the problem of blinding oncoming drivers which you don't really want to do.

those Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are nothing but marketing hype...

if you want to upgrade the bulbs, and have 14V at the terminal w/ no voltage drop (meaning all electrical supply problems are solved first), then HIR bulbs are the best upgrade for anyone who doesn't want to step up to HID lights and the super expensive housing modifications to make them work.
Posted By: moparborn

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 05:00 AM

You can also use a relay and power your lights straight from the battery.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

those Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are nothing but marketing hype...

if you want to upgrade the bulbs, and have 14V at the terminal w/ no voltage drop (meaning all electrical supply problems are solved first), then HIR bulbs are the best upgrade for anyone who doesn't want to step up to HID lights and the super expensive housing modifications to make them work.

Well it's marketing hype that made it a lot easier for me to see at night on the three cars I installed the Ultras in. So that's good enough for me to recommend them.
Posted By: hp383

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 09:54 AM

Attached picture 8339383-HeadlightRelays.gif
Posted By: ahy

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 03:25 PM

As posted, the relay's help a lot. The fender relay is a handy place to pull the power on a MOPAR. Upgraded halogen headlights + bulbs help a lot also. The two together made a huge difference on my F250. I used LMC stuff... which is also offered for Dodge. If you get the harness kit you will also need fuses or circuit breakers from the parts store.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/dc/full.aspx?Page=33
Posted By: jcc

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 07:00 PM

Quote:

This hasn't been mentioned often or I missed it, is it normal that low beams turn off when high beams go on? In the posted diagram, would not adding a simple diode between the control circuits (86) of the two relays, activate both relays when Hi's are turned on, providing additional light, easily? This would eliminate any need for a previously mentioned "smart box" on relay upgrade systems, correct?
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/23/14 09:18 PM

I just cracked open the relay and blocked the lever inside to get hi/lo at the same time. Took about 30 seconds to do and was free.
Posted By: moparborn

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/24/14 01:21 AM

However running hi and low at the same time will create more heat and shorten lifespan.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/24/14 03:08 AM

Quote:

You can also use a relay and power your lights straight from the battery.

This.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/24/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

However running hi and low at the same time will create more heat and shorten lifespan.

Especially since the return to ground will carry about double the current it was designed for.

PS. I don't know if any of this is relevant to the OP, since he is asking about an '99 Dodge Ram. I know it doesn't use a sealed/halogen sealed lamp...
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: How to get brighter headlights? - 11/24/14 05:32 AM

Quote:

Possibly causing *both* filaments to go out. And lights go out when you need to use them.

To make a light brighter, you need to send it more voltage and/or reduce the voltage drops (as has been mentioned).
© 2024 Moparts Forums