Moparts

2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on

Posted By: EWJ

2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/09/14 07:08 PM

Bought this truck a year ago-test drove it once, bought it and then slowly made repairs. Drove fine. ABS and brake lights were on at time of purchase. The left front abs wire was cut due to incorrect routing so I figured that was the light issue. Installed new rotors and pads all around.

Yesterday was an attempted maiden voyage- rear brakes seemed to be stuck. Drove it an 1/8 mile and they were certainly on. Parked it for the night.

Today I put the rear up in the air- the rears spun freely on both sides. Fired it up and pressed the brake pedal: the rears are stuck on fully. The pedal has zero travel. Pulled the ABS module plugs, the ABS fuses as well. Still stuck on.

Any advise on how to get this freed up and what the issue is? I am willing to rum without ABS for the moment as I am real need of having a running truck.

Re: 2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/09/14 07:55 PM

As an update- cracked one of the bleeder screws on one of the stuck calipers: no fluid came squinting out.

Guess they are just sticking calipers. Going to slam some reman ones on and see.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/09/14 08:42 PM

Are you sure the emergency brakes are not stuck on?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: 2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/09/14 09:45 PM

If it's not the emergency brake or stuck calipers, it also could be the flex line to the rear axle. I've seen them fail where they act like one way check valves.

Re: 2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/10/14 03:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Had checked the e-brake before posting and it was ok. I also checked the center flex line and it did not look strained.

A pair of reman calipers took care of it: ended up having to do all 4 as the right front was also sticking.

Got it out for a 60 mile shakedown run: brakes are excellent now and the ABS/ brake lights reset- that issue was the cut sensor wire after all.

Thanks!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/10/14 04:11 AM

Glad to see it was an easy fix and thanks for letting us know.

Re: 2001 Ram 2500: ABS light on and rear brakes stay on - 11/10/14 05:29 AM

Quote:

Glad to see it was an easy fix and thanks for letting us know.

Thanks again for the input
© 2024 Moparts Forums