Moparts

2004 Dakota 4x4 Ball Joints

Posted By: Erik

2004 Dakota 4x4 Ball Joints - 11/06/14 04:26 PM

Can the upper ball joints on a 2004 Dakota 4X4 be pressed out or do they need to be chiseled out? Or should I just change the whole control arm assembly?

Thanks!
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 2004 Dakota 4x4 Ball Joints - 11/06/14 05:34 PM

Aren't they the same style as the recall years? Should be able to chisel the rivets out if they're not bolts in there already.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 2004 Dakota 4x4 Ball Joints - 11/06/14 09:07 PM

No rivets on the lower ball joints in a 4wd. the quickest way to get them out is to use 2 hammers, a large ball peen with the rounded side resting on the top of the ball joint. With the LCA supported by a jackstand, smack the flat side of the ball peen hammer with another BFH. This will keep you from mushrooming the top of the old joint and protect the control arm. The new joint will need to be pressed back into the control arm.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: 2004 Dakota 4x4 Ball Joints - 11/07/14 05:46 AM

Quote:

No rivets on the lower ball joints in a 4wd. the quickest way to get them out is to use 2 hammers, a large ball peen with the rounded side resting on the top of the ball joint. With the LCA supported by a jackstand, smack the flat side of the ball peen hammer with another BFH. This will keep you from mushrooming the top of the old joint and protect the control arm. The new joint will need to be pressed back into the control arm.

Wow...the question was about uppers,not lowers. "Smacking" 2 hammers together is also not the greatest idea(although I've done it myself)They are hardened steel and can shatter.
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: 2004 Dakota 4x4 Ball Joints - 11/12/14 06:55 AM

buildanother is right should be able to cut the top off the rivets and punch the rest though with a drift, then bolt the new one in. It's best to leave the joint connected to the spindle while cutting and driving the rivets out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums