Moparts

76 power wagon locking hub conversion

Posted By: magnum440

76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/02/14 07:16 PM

hello got a buddy with a 76 powerwagon fulltime 4x4 ..318 4 speed...wanted to put change over too locking hubs,whats yr trucks will be needed to do this or is there a kit out there,any suggestions would be appreciated..,thanks in advance

Attached picture 8319236-Picture59559.jpg
Posted By: dynotune440

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/02/14 07:24 PM

Better to find 1980-84 axles and put kit into transfer case...
Some will say full-time is better...which can be very true...
Just depends on what you want...
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/02/14 11:04 PM

Quote:

Some will say full-time is better...which can be very true...
Just depends on what you want...

And on the other side of this, some will say that the full-time set-up is prone to wear and failure, which simply isn't true.

It's not an easy conversion. What is his motivation for wanting a part-time set-up?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/03/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

And on the other side of this, some will say that the full-time set-up is prone to wear and failure, which simply isn't true.

That's a load of bull poop. That wheel bearing set up was garbage. Worn knuckle bores, worn bearing hubs. No way to adjust so once parts wear pull out the wallet. As said go to a 80 or newer front and you will be fine.
Posted By: demon

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/03/14 06:10 PM

I had a 77 with a part time conversion. It had small diameter hubs. I doubt anything is available nowadays but in the 4x4 magazines of the 70's, you will see them advertised.
Personally I see the benefits of both systems and have owned several of each. I do like the full time system and see no need to change.
It all depends on personal preference
Posted By: shanker

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/04/14 06:43 AM

I looked into converting my 74 RC over from 4WD to be able to run it in 2 high....I *thought* that I may get a little better mileage and less wear & tear...after LOTS of reading here and on Dodge Truck forums....I realized that there wasn't any benefit to it for me...

Eventually I'll be putting Dana's under it so when I get to that bridge, I'll have to put a kit in the x-fer case....but I'm not planning on doing that for a while until it becomes a necessity.
Posted By: magnum440

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/04/14 07:32 PM

It's not an easy conversion. What is his motivation for wanting a part-time set-up?

thanks for response ...hes just trying to get better mileage and the wheel bearings are making noise in front...
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/04/14 07:54 PM

I used the complex kits on 2 of my own half tons over the years, and mpg improvement was little, hardly measurable.
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/05/14 02:32 AM

Quote:

...hes just trying to get better mileage and the wheel bearings are making noise in front...

Fixing a noise is good! Expecting any kind of fuel mileage improvement can only be accomplished in one way-

Don't run them!

The amount of money needed to swap will buy a LOT of gas at such a small improvement. Best just keep paying for the gas he's got now!
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: 76 power wagon locking hub conversion - 11/06/14 10:25 PM

Quote:

thanks for response ...hes just trying to get better mileage and the wheel bearings are making noise in front...

Replace the front wheel bearings, then keep them greased regularly (problem solved).

A few years ago, I was able to buy complete brake rotors with bearings/hubs all assembled and ready to bolt on a '76 W100 that I was working on. It was a very easy swap that way and filled the hubs with grease and was off and running. That's what I would suggest. Part-time conversions are expensive and time consuming and will far exceed the cost of the fuel mileage difference, as suggested.

JS
© 2024 Moparts Forums