Moparts

Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi?

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/14/14 08:57 PM

I bought this 07 truck 2 years ago and the oil pan has surface rust that is flaking off and the edges of the pan are really rusting Is this a common problem with the Hemi Rams? Have anyone had the pan rust thru? How hard is it to change the pan on the Hemi? I have heard horror stories about changing Ram oil pans but I am not sure if they were talking about the Hemi or the CTD.
Thanks Mike
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/15/14 01:45 AM

A Hemi ain't that bad to remove the oil pan. A diesel is the PITA.
Posted By: torredcuda

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/15/14 02:16 AM

My `97 rusted thru and now my `04 looks pretty crusty as well. Not sure what type of metal they use for the pans but it`s crap!
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/15/14 02:22 AM

Thanks for the reply's. I was hoping that it was the Diesel pan that was a pita. My 05 CTD pan however looks great!
Mike
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/15/14 04:45 AM

The crap they are mixing with the salt they load up the streets with will these days eat anything pretty quickly. I'm guessing it saw a lot of winter duty. Gene
Posted By: ahy

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/16/14 08:08 PM

I believe the pans are laminated "quiet steel". Two thin sheets of steel with a rubber layer bonded in between. The outer layer goes pretty fast when it gets a dose of gravel and salt. The inner layer will hold oil even if the outer is pretty much gone, at least for a while. It sure looks bad though.
Posted By: gts340swinger

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/22/14 10:14 PM

A co-worker had a similar year Durango that the pan was badly rusted on (as well as the rest of it). It was actually weeping oil when he traded it in. The only other pan I've seen rusted through around here was on a 2.2 in an Omni GLH I had. They do get rusty around here like Gene said. The road "salt" is more like salt/acid.

A hobby of mine is sitting in the living room watching the rockers rust off my old truck.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/25/14 02:30 PM

Quote:

A hobby of mine is sitting in the living room watching the rockers rust off my old truck.

My 05 was decent up until about a year ago. Now it looks like a rust explosion. Both bedsides around the wheelwell, another spot by the tailpipe, the rear bumper, bottoms of the doors at the pinch flanges, and the passenger side rocker is approaching rust-through status too.

9 years was a good run I guess!
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/25/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My 05 was decent up until about a year ago. Now it looks like a rust explosion. Both bedsides around the wheelwell, another spot by the tailpipe, the rear bumper, bottoms of the doors at the pinch flanges, and the passenger side rocker is approaching rust-through status too.

9 years was a good run I guess!

I got alittle more years out of my 96' Ram 2500 up until about 4 years ago. I took real good care of it & washed it regularily. Within those 4-5 years the whole bottom edge of my truck has lost the bottom 4"-6" of metal in all of these area's. Dang Michigan winters.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Oil pan rusting on 07 Ram 2500 Hemi? - 08/26/14 01:48 AM

My 03 Dakota must have that two layer pan, it was rusting pretty bad and a very small hole in the outer layer but no leaks. I cleaned it off good used rust converter then a couple coats of black paint, came through last winter fine no new rust or anything on the pan. The body on the other hand looks like a explosion of rust in the last 10 months. Can't [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] 212k on it and going strong!
© 2024 Moparts Forums