Moparts

School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems

Posted By: 440child

School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/25/14 02:59 AM

What's up, all. I've heard them mentioned on here, but I'd like to know more. I'm considering a big block swap on my '85 and would like to get all the info I can, like, how do they work,is there a complete system available for my truck, or where do I go if I want to get available parts to put a system together. Or is it more trouble than it's worth? I've heard that it's better to do this than the power brake booster/tall valve cover fight. I'd like to keep some sort of power assisted brake system if possible. Thaks in advance for any and all info/opinions.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/25/14 04:13 AM

I'm no expert on this, but from what I know you replace your vacuum brake booster with one that uses hydraulics. It receives that hydraulic pressure from your power steering pump. The 94-02?? I think Diesel rams used a hydroboost system but there are aftermarket ones as well. it's as simple as plumbing the lines in I think.
Posted By: therocks

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/25/14 02:29 PM

LOts of GM vans used hydro boost also.They arent hard to miss in the junkyards.Just look for hydro lines going to the booster.The PS pump should be adaptable to a Mopar.Rocky
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/25/14 03:56 PM

I think I remember, but not certain, seeing some mid '80's D350 trucks with factory hydroboost setups. Might be worth checking.

Robert
Posted By: dogdays

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/25/14 06:57 PM

It's a cast iron wonder with a gold-colored cylindrical part about the size of a Red Bull can. It bolts to the firewall just like the power brake booster. The master cylinder bolts to it, and it uses a regular M/C. There are two hydraulic lines, one is tee'd off the high pressure line out of the pump, the other goes back into the reservoir.

The core charge on one is $165.00, or at least it was when I replaced the one on my 1993 Suburban after around 200K miles. I bought a core on the 'bay for $35.00.
Bendix makes them, they're pretty much all the same.

They have been used OEM on mustangs, Diesel trucks and heavy duty gas trucks.

I love the smooth, even brake application. It's easy to modulate.

Do a Websearch, there'll be thousands of hits.

R.
Posted By: hp383

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/26/14 04:17 AM

My mid 70's Lincoln Continental had the hydroboost as well.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/27/14 02:45 PM

I just put one on my Pro Street 71 Demon because I wanted power brakes and there was no way I could fit a vacuum assisted booster with a hemi. I love it. The brakes are great now.
Posted By: ahy

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/28/14 02:54 AM

The power assist comes from the PS pump. They use a "nitrogen ball" to store some hydraulic energy so you get an assisted stop or two if the boost fails. There are pre-made kits with all new parts for '70's B & E models (spendy). For PU's, I believe the system needs to be adapted from another model or pieced together.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/brakeunits.html#TXTOBJ7D920F13152E1B71
Posted By: dogdays

Re: School Me On Hydroboost Brake Systems - 07/28/14 09:57 PM

The extra braking energy is stored in the silver or gold colored cylinder that is part of the hydroboost unit itself.
There is no "nitrogen ball", at least not on the systems from Hydratech.
I'm sure a nitrogen-charged accumulator could be added if one really wanted it!

I think that getting an all-new system for a little more than $500 is pretty good. Or you can cobble one together for less from used parts.

Compared to the grabby characteristics of '70s Chrysler power brakes that I remember from back in the day, the Hydraboost is a dream.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums