Moparts

Brand X / Real Truck Interchange..

Posted By: EV2RUNNER

Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/01/14 04:58 PM

So I bought an 87 Generic Motors 3500 Dually Yesterday with a Rollback Bed on it. My plan is to strip the Chebby Drivetrain and Body, and replace it with my 68 440, and NP435 4 speed, and put either a 74-93 or 94-05 Cab and clip on it. Now my question is, has anyone ever used a GM PTO Box on a NP435 Tranny? I believe it's a Chelsea, but I haven't degreased it yet.The mounting bolt holes look the same I am just concearned with the drive gear meshing in the tranny. Thanks for your input!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/01/14 06:05 PM

It shouldn't be a problem but even if they are not the same I'm sure you can change the gear in the PTO. PTOs are pretty standardized.
Posted By: ChinooK440

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 01:10 AM

Real Truck Interchange ? Sounds more like the making of a real bass turd to me .

If you want a dodge , why not just find a dodge to start with or just keep it all chevy ? Nothing wrong with that .

Unless of course you just have TOO much time and mismatched parts on your hands chevodgelet
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 01:17 AM

Quote:

Real Truck Interchange ? Sounds more like the making of a real bass turd to me .

If you want a dodge , why not just find a dodge

Why that's not helpful at all!
I can't even really remember a Dodge tilt bed from that era so your basic choices are chebby & terd. I assume this endeavor is about cost of those things so bring it on.
Posted By: ChinooK440

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 01:39 AM

1974 thru 2005 is a pretty big era

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 04:05 AM

Well the reasoning behind this project is Cost for sure. I will have under $5000 in the truck by the time Im done.I would love to have a newer Dodge Cab and Chassis to put this bed on but I don't have $50,000 extra dollars laying around.The only thing GM will be the frame..The drivetrain and body will be all Mopar 68 440 and NP435..And I would keep it all Chevy if the body and motor were decent, the body is rusted out and the 350 is whipped, so I may as well swap the Mopar stuff on. And as far as a Bass Turd or whatever you call it,if you have been around trucks much, you know that 90% of drivetrain parts swap between Mopar and GM Trucks.

The steel bed and Hydraulics are really nice,and already mounted to this frame that's why Im using it. Im not afraid of a little fab work and basicly I have everything to build the truck except a 2003 or newer cab and clip if I choose to go that route. Thanks for the advice on the PTO, I will post pics this winter when I rip into things.

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

If you have money to donate I will gladly accept!
Posted By: RODHALL

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 04:49 AM

I have thought about doing that... GM rollbacks 100-150 to 1 dodge around here. GM crap is real cheep. only thing I was thinking of putting a cummins/435 with a dana 80 rear. a gen 2 cab and clip..
Posted By: Cooter

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 04:58 AM

Thought about it myself.

Even if you were doing a rampbed, the Chevy is so much cheaper than the few MoPars out there.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 03:13 PM

Quote:

I have thought about doing that... GM rollbacks 100-150 to 1 dodge around here. GM crap is real cheep. only thing I was thinking of putting a cummins/435 with a dana 80 rear. a gen 2 cab and clip..

Shoot Chris, all you got to do is go to JerrDan over on I81 by you & they'll build it for you

Why not graft a Dodge front section of frame to the rear Chevy one with the bed
I've got a friend with one done like that
Posted By: RODHALL

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/02/14 07:08 PM

Quote:

Shoot Chris, all you got to do is go to JerrDan over on I81 by you & they'll build it for you

$$$$$$$$$$$ LOL
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/03/14 01:33 AM

Quote:

OOOPS! Didn't see the '94-'05.
Still stand by my statement. However, I see crapload of 'em '06 & up.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/03/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

if you have been around trucks much, you know that 90% of drivetrain parts swap between Mopar and GM Trucks.

90%

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/04/14 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

if you have been around trucks much, you know that 90% of drivetrain parts swap between Mopar and GM Trucks.

90%

OK maybe not 90% But my point is that Dana and New Process Drivetrain parts are used in Both.

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/04/14 03:39 AM

Quote:

Id love to do a 12V Cummins with a NV4500, but I already have the 440 and 435 setup.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Brand X / Real Truck Interchange.. - 07/04/14 07:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you want a dodge , why not just find a dodge

Why that's not helpful at all!
I can't even really remember a Dodge tilt bed from that era so your basic choices are chebby & terd. I assume this endeavor is about cost of those things so bring it on.

My dad has an 88 dodge rollback. 360 with a 4 speed... definitely would be better with a cummins and a 5 speed, but I've taken it on 6 hour trips each way. I can't say I ever saw another one... it will be for sale soon, we just don't use it anymore. I'm content using a trailer behind my cummins ram.
© 2024 Moparts Forums