Moparts

How do I determine which electric OD trans I have?

Posted By: poorboy

How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/26/14 04:31 AM

So my son picked up this motor, auto od trans, computer & under hood wiring for an upcoming project. It from a 97 Dodge SST, or SSR or some other lettering .
I know all automatic transmissions from 91 or 92 on were electronically controlled, the later the model, the more the computer controlled. So the question is, how does an old man like me determine which version of electronic controlled trans is sitting on the floor in front of me? Does each version have cast in, or stamped numbers somewhere, or are there wiring plugs that some have others don't? I know its the 727 version of whatever.

Tell me how to determine which version of electric trans I have, please.
Gene
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/26/14 07:06 AM

A 500 behind a 318

A 518 behind a 360
Posted By: herkamer

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/26/14 07:13 AM

97 will have a 46RE. It has more electronics and computer control than the pre-96 46RH. The way to determine for sure is the plug on the driver's side by the gear selector facing up. 2 or 3 pin is RH, Multi pin (like 9-10) is RE.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/26/14 01:29 PM

Quote:

A 500 behind a 318

A 518 behind a 360

Not so. Many 5.2s have the 518(727 based) O/D trans behind them. Now a 3.9, not so much.

I'm assuming this is a gas engine, you didn't give much information at all except it's a something or other. But yeah up through 95 was the RH and 96 on the RE that doesn't have a governor. It uses a solenoid and sensor to get the valve body to perform the shift.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/26/14 06:37 PM

The SST (Super Sport Truck) came only with the 5.9L engine and the 46RE trans.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/26/14 06:58 PM

Quote:

A 500 behind a 318

A 518 behind a 360

I flip full size Dodges 94-01 & buy them with bad transmissions & engines off the CL

I have yet to see an A500 in a full size V8 truck in those years
Dakotas are a different story
Posted By: poorboy

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/27/14 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info on the electrical plug by the shifter, that's what I was after. There are definitely more then 3 pins in that connection. If I ever stumble across one of these at a swap meet or something, I'll know what I'm looking at.

I knew it was the 727/518 version because the pan kicks out at the dipstick area. Gene
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: How do I determine which electric OD trans I have? - 06/27/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info on the electrical plug by the shifter, that's what I was after. There are definitely more then 3 pins in that connection. If I ever stumble across one of these at a swap meet or something, I'll know what I'm looking at.

I knew it was the 727/518 version because the pan kicks out at the dipstick area. Gene

Yep, the RE has an 8 pin circular connector.
© 2024 Moparts Forums