Moparts

2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings

Posted By: camastomcat

2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/11/14 12:26 PM

Diesel mechanics, I need help deciding if I have a sticky injector or? When my truck sits for a while, and even lately when it's warm. the EGT alarm on the Edge chip display shows 1500+. Any ideas? Not sure if this something I should be concerned with as I am getting ready to tow my trailer 2000 miles. It's not tripping any codes, just coming up on the display alarm.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/11/14 02:38 PM

Yeah 1500 degrees is something to worry about especially if it's doing this without a load or being worked hard. I would revert it back to the stock tune and see what happens.

Do you have a real pyrometer in the truck?

Re: 2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/11/14 02:50 PM

It's the one that came with the chip and it's tapped into the exhaust manifold. The funny thing is, it started sounding he alarm when unloaded and was worse at an idle. I wasn't able to get my other hand held pyrometer on the manifold before it went away, so it kinda comes and goes. I will try going back to the stock setting though. Also, it's not a consistent reading as sometimes it's there and sometimes it's mot. That's what had me wondering if it was a sticky injector or something????
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/11/14 03:41 PM

Possible it's an injector or the Edge unit or sender. If you can get a pyro gauge on it and confirm that would be best. Does it idle rough or anything when this happens?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: 2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/11/14 07:47 PM

got a handheld ir temp gun? they're pretty cheap and you can quickly find out whats hot, and where. it will give actual temps at each exhaust port, helping you locate the problem, if one exists.

Re: 2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/12/14 12:15 AM

I have a hand held pyrometer, but it hasn't happened at an idle for a while, actually, since it has been warmer. I can't really check it while I'm driving, but it's a good suggestion to check cyl by cyl to see if one is hotter than the rest.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 2004.5 Cummins high EGT readings - 06/12/14 12:55 AM

I have replace many pyro probes for doing what yours is doing. Replace the probe.
© 2024 Moparts Forums