Moparts

Late model 17" wheels

Posted By: moparmandjh

Late model 17" wheels - 04/04/14 01:46 AM

Will late model wheels work on my 1980 Ramcharger? I know the 5x5.5 bolt pattern is the same, what about the offset and fitting over the hubs?
Thanks in advance!
Dave
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Late model 17" wheels - 04/04/14 04:38 AM

If your Ramcharger has the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern that much is the same...however I tried to fit some 17s from a newer Ram onto my 1999 2wd 1500 that came with 16s and ran into issues with the pilot hole being different from 4wd to 2wd...they fit the back but not the front. Check the fit on your truck before you lay out the cash and mount the new tires DAMHIK
Posted By: moparmandjh

Re: Late model 17" wheels - 04/04/14 04:40 AM

That's what I was worried about. Thanks!
Posted By: VL21

Re: Late model 17" wheels - 04/04/14 06:34 PM

On this style the offset is 1" different (more back spacing), I modified some wheel spacers.

I think I was being really anal about it, but had myself convinced I wanted hub centric spacers, which in my application didn't exist.

So I modified some ...backside center bore needed to be machined out, and the center hole in the wheels needed what basically amounted to a clean up, just a careful few thou.

I used 2" on the rear, and 1" on front. Now that it is on there, I wished I could have gotten 1 1/2" for the back, it would have eliminated the clearance issues with the fender lip.

Attached picture 8101294-029.jpg
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Late model 17" wheels - 04/04/14 06:36 PM

can't you get a half an inch milled off them?
Posted By: VL21

Re: Late model 17" wheels - 04/05/14 03:30 PM

I THINK the 1 1/2" are probably available, but when I was eyeballing the thing I went by that old rule, if a little is good, too much is just right.

Actually, the backspacing would be same as stock with a 1" spacer, and I was having some inside rubbing with 255/70/15 on stock rims, so thought the extra inch would be fine.

It is the extra width of the rim that makes the diff.

I did the rear first, and tried the 2" on the front to check clearance ... better with the stock offset, wider rim and a 1" spacer.

Thought about having the spacers shaved, but their design won't allow it ... the seat for the inner (attaching nuts) is too close to the backside, and on the outer the studs are too close to the front surface.

It was very close to clearing, and with a smaller tire (these are 275/60/17) I think it would clear, and if it wasn't lowered it would be ok, and possibly a little shift of the bed/frame relationship would make it work ...

and if pigs had wings ...

Attached picture 8102187-006.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums