Moparts

How to remove spray on bed liner?

Posted By: dodgedon

How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 04:28 AM

I bought a different truck bed for my 85. It has some type of spray on bed liner that is peeling. I would like to strip the whole inside of the box and start over. I scraped on it for a couple of hours today and did a 12" by 12" area. Would sand blasting strip this off? Without damage to the inner bed floor and walls? Some places it just peeled off by hand, others it was pretty tough. Anyone ever do this?
Posted By: Mopar2DBone

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 04:38 AM

What about a heat gun?????

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 04:47 AM

I tried some heat but it seemed to smear like tar.
Posted By: Mopar2DBone

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 04:53 AM

Paint stripper??? IDK but I don't see a sand blaster doing any good...
Let us know when you find what it takes.. Maybe Google is your friend??
Posted By: old_goat

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 04:54 AM

If heat smeared it, I would try some paint stripper. Blasting might warp it.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 05:00 AM

try some of the aircraft stripper it works good.

use a cup wire wheel and knock the loose stuff off and spray over the stuck on stuff.

couple nice thick coats should level it out and seal it off good.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 08:56 AM

have access to a steam jenny? if you had a real steam cleaner, with high pressure, i bet it would peel off, in sheets.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/29/14 07:49 PM

I asked about removing one at a sandblasting place once, they said blasting is the only effective way to do it.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/30/14 01:16 PM

Quote:

have access to a steam jenny? if you had a real steam cleaner, with high pressure, i bet it would peel off, in sheets.

Depends on type of liner and prep work done. The professional shop stuff should not come off at all, that's what you paid for.
The DIY stuff and a lazy azz who slathered on a gallon, maybe.
Like Scratch said, possibly identify what you have and recoat it.

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/30/14 04:30 PM

This looks like a DIY job. Its very thin in places. Thick with runs and sags in others. I would try to recote it but theres suface rust under it on the floor. Its peeling really bad. I'm going to try a high power pressure washer first... Where I can peel it by hand. Then maybe the wire cup on a grinder as suggested above. I will keep you guys posted...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/30/14 05:05 PM

last one we redid we wire cupped it good and used the rustoleum spray in bed liner.

on my 440 truck I used a roll in that is faded and peeling in thin spots. so it get wire cupped and resprayed with the rustoleum.

my 85 truck with the 91 cab got 6 gallons inside and out..I bet that don't come off anytime soon. LOL!

Attached picture 8094349-floorpatch#58.jpg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/30/14 06:39 PM

Quote:

Depends on type of liner and prep work done. The professional shop stuff should not come off at all, that's what you paid for.

If its prepped correctly its going to be one SOB to remove.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 03/31/14 02:29 PM

Quote:

Posted By: ahy

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 04/01/14 05:20 AM

Agree a cup wire wheel on a stout angle grinder should do it. Dust mask, eye protection and have at it. Paint stripper would work also but I would personally prefer the cup wheel. Follow with a good rust stop primer and coating of your choice.
Posted By: Matt Butler

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 04/01/14 05:51 PM

Best way I have done it is a 3-4,000 lb pressure washer with a 0 degree tip... you usually have to ask for that when you rent it. It cost me $45 for 4 hours and it was way better than trying to scrape off the DIY Kits.

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 04/02/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Best way I have done it is a 3-4,000 lb pressure washer with a 0 degree tip... you usually have to ask for that when you rent it. It cost me $45 for 4 hours and it was way better than trying to scrape off the DIY Kits.

Those who have used them know better now and would never recommend a wire wheel or similar.

I own mine it's so handy.

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 04/02/14 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The DIY stuff and a lazy azz who slathered on a gallon, maybe.
Like Scratch said, possibly identify what you have and recoat it.

I can tell you have never used a steam pressure washer.

Mine can blast mortor out of brick walls...it'll remove any kind of coating with the right tip and temperature.

I have been using 3 different steam pressure washer since 1983. I wore one out and replaced it and now have one at work and at home.

This is one of if not the most valuable and useful tools I own. It get's used for many cleaning and stripping jobs. It'll remove truck bed liner I promise better and faster than anything else including sand blasting.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: How to remove spray on bed liner? - 04/03/14 03:06 AM

i used one to clean locomotive engine blocks, before painting them. you have to be careful with them, as they can actually blow through gaskets, and do some real damage. strips a locomotive diesel block to bare metal, in a very short time. traction motors use a gear lube, that is similar to warm tar, in viscosity. a steam jenny will cut through decades of the stuff, baked onto the gearbox, and slung all over the underside of the frame, where it leaks out. awesome for getting stains off the driveway, but again, the ability to actually damage the concrete is possible. high pressure steam, is really a super cleaning tool.
© 2024 Moparts Forums