Moparts

draining gastank

Posted By: bonefish

draining gastank - 03/10/14 05:34 PM

88 YJ hows the best way to drain the tank.the gas has been in there for 5 years(full tank)i cant get a siphon hose thru the spout.it fires rite up and runs but it cant be good.
Posted By: hp383

Re: draining gastank - 03/10/14 07:13 PM

Does it smell like bad gas? If it doesn't smell sour you may be able to just run it out.

If your worried about varnish and crud, drop the tank and drain it.

You could even use the electric fuel pump to pump it out, but then your still running bad gas, and sucking varnish or whatever into the pump/filter.Or filter screen if it hasn't deteriorated

Re: draining gastank - 03/10/14 08:56 PM

Quote:

Does it smell like bad gas? If it doesn't smell sour you may be able to just run it out.

If your worried about varnish and crud, drop the tank and drain it.

You could even use the electric fuel pump to pump it out, but then your still running bad gas, and sucking varnish or whatever into the pump/filter.Or filter screen if it hasn't deteriorated

No elect pump.i was able to find a line under the engine to drain it but boy is it SLOOOW! And O YEH it smells FUNKY.
Posted By: hp383

Re: draining gastank - 03/11/14 12:14 AM

If you remove the filler cap it may drain a bit faster.

Re: draining gastank - 03/11/14 01:34 AM

Quote:

If you remove the filler cap it may drain a bit faster.

first thing i did.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: draining gastank - 03/11/14 01:43 AM

Be patient or go buy a super cheap electric universal pump and pump and hook it up at the fuel line that goes from the frame to engine. That is the easiest way to do it.
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: draining gastank - 03/12/14 10:51 PM

Quote:

Be patient or go buy a super cheap electric universal pump and pump and hook it up at the fuel line that goes from the frame to engine. That is the easiest way to do it.

That's what I did with my 28 gal. tank yesterday. Worked perfect! I pulled the filler hose off the body filler neck, and ran the pump hose in there. Good luck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums