Moparts

5.9 24V Cummins Question

Posted By: CumminsGirl08

5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 06:06 PM

So i am looking to purchase this 2001 Cummins 5.9L 24V and it has 190K miles on it. I have had mixed reveiws about if i should do it or not. I was told that anything under 200K is just breaking in the motor. Is this true?? Can you guys help me so i know a little bit more about what i am getting myself into?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 06:17 PM

Drove a '99 for three months, it had around 170K on it, no problems except the battery posts needed cleaning up.

R.
Posted By: CumminsGirl08

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 06:27 PM

thank you for your input!! I will take that into consideration when i go look at the truck in person!
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 07:41 PM

Valves should have been adjusted @ 150,000 miles. The lift pump is a weak point. Check if an aftermarket solution has been installed, Vulcan, FASS or Airdog, all upgrades over the factory pump.

Battery cables are expensive, check condition. Check dash carefully for cracks or a cover. Another EXPENSIVE fix.

Mines at 128,000, been through all but the valve adjustment.

Robert
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 07:53 PM

Just like anything else in life...it all depends on how it has been treated by the PO. But first you should realize that a diesel truck is best used for accumulating a lot of miles in steady use and 190,000 miles in 13 years is only 14,610 miles per year and that is not good for it. Now maybe this was owned by a snowbird that used it to pull a 5th wheel to AZ or FL and then parked it for 6 months at a time and that might be all right...but not if they used it as a daily driver for a 5 day a week 10 mile commute BTW most Cummins will run 300K to 500K before overhauls with regular (expensive) maintenance.

Why do you need a diesel? They are more expensive to purchase and maintain than a gas rig, but make up for it in longevity and brute strength. But there is no reason to own a locomotive just to make trips to the local 7/11
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 08:24 PM

01-02 are the best years, check to see if the injectors were changed or have had maintenance on them. I blew up 2 common rail Cummins engines due to injector neglect. Have the rear end and trans checked as the Cummins engine puts out enough torque to make those parts the weak point. If an automatic check the overdrive out, if a 4x4 check the transfer case and have a good look at the fluid in it.
Posted By: D149

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/19/14 11:56 PM

I've got a 2001 245hp 6 speed 4x4 with 240000Km on it.

Overall it is a very good truck. As said, if the lift pump is still an original style (on the engine block) it will fail (if it hasn't already) and should be replaced with an aftermarket such as FASS or AirDog. The truck will still run with a failed lift pump, but it will destroy the injection pump due to lack of lubrication(expensive!).

The sure grip diff (if equipped) is a weak point as well. Mine is completely worn and makes some noise. Eaton has a Truetrac available for it.

Cracked dash is another expensive fix, and they all seem to break.

The turbo wastegate may seize and cause overboost defuelling (loss of power) if the truck is from the snowbelt.

Aluminum wheels are known to crack around the inner bead(as mine did).

Rusty door bottoms are very common.

Other than expensive regular maintenance, and the odd wheel bearing and U-joint, mine has been very reliable and tows great.

Dave
Posted By: a12rag

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/20/14 12:16 AM

Most have already covered all the weak points of these years. Lift pump and or injection pump is a biggy. Even though I don't think I have abused my truck (2002 HO with 6spd manual, 2wd - only 61k miles on it now - owned since new), I still had to do the lift pump @ 40k miles and the injection pump. I am pretty nutso about maintenance. . . so other than that, the truck has been flawless . . . if you are getting to tow, you can't go wrong. Just make sure it is checked out thoroughly. Also can go to the dodge truck forum to see other issues . . .

Good luck

Cheers

Mark
Posted By: Moneypit6

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/20/14 01:24 AM

As stated by others, lift pump and VP-44 injection pump are weak points. Many improvements have been made here over the years for replacements. 01 and 02 should be new enough to not be a 53 block which had a problem with cracking on the water jackets. Engine is built solid. Need clean air into the motor as they were a little susceptible to upper end problems. As long as these are understood, these motors /can/will pull for a long long time. Nothing like a good diesel setup for running on the road. Peak torque is right where you are driving!!
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/20/14 02:52 AM

with most of what has been stated by others. The engine itself I would not worry too much about. It its no big deal for them to go over several hundred thousand miles if maintained. Remember, you are still bying a truck with almost 200K on it. So dont be surprised if it needs some work. Most people that buy them dont generally use them to run to the grocery store, they work the hell out of them. This takes its toll on the truck. The stuff you are going have problems with are going to be with the truck itself and the fuel injection system. Lately I have been seeing more and more ECM, sensor, and wiring issues as these trucks age. That used to not be the issue but nothing lasts forever. Good luck.
Posted By: 98RAM1500

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/20/14 02:54 AM

check to see if there has been a gooseneck hookup in it, if there is or was one then there's no telling what it has pulled
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/20/14 04:24 AM

after having owned one with that kind of mileage on it, all I'll say is expect a lot of minor repairs that will add up.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/20/14 11:52 PM

Good place to lurk for Cummins info.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/
Posted By: DART67GT

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/22/14 02:11 PM

If it's a 4x4, see if the front end has been rebuilt. I just did mine at 140k. Steering box and everything. It now drives better than new. The factory steering components were sealed other than the upper ball joints.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/22/14 04:32 PM

Bought my 02 4wd with 50k miles & drove it for another 100k. Great
truck that could get 20mpg on the highway & towed like a dream.
Here's some advice I learned the hard (expensive), way:
1. Don't tow in overdrive & you can, upgrade your trans for towing.
2. Don't use a first gen Edge EZ controller. After 3 yrs, mine shorted
out the PCM which took out the ECM, the injection pump & the lift pump.
Dodge employee cost was $7k to fix, so I sold it & built this...
(maybe one day, it'll get a cummins)
3. As others advised, weak link is the lift pump, so do some research
& upgrade to one of the good systems that are out there.
Oil changes are expensive & brake jobs, too, but the Cummins will outlast just about anything if well maintained.

Attached picture 8049113-64intow.jpg
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/24/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

Bought my 02 4wd with 50k miles & drove it for another 100k. Great
truck that could get 20mpg on the highway & towed like a dream.
Here's some advice I learned the hard (expensive), way:
1. Don't tow in overdrive & you can, upgrade your trans for towing.
2. Don't use a first gen Edge EZ controller. After 3 yrs, mine shorted
out the PCM which took out the ECM, the injection pump & the lift pump.
Dodge employee cost was $7k to fix, so I sold it & built this...
(maybe one day, it'll get a cummins)
3. As others advised, weak link is the lift pump, so do some research
& upgrade to one of the good systems that are out there.
Oil changes are expensive & brake jobs, too, but the Cummins will outlast just about anything if well maintained.

If you just use common sense you can tow in OD with no problems.
I have put tons of miles towing a 34' 16k pound 5th wheel and a 32' 12k pound enclosed race car trailer all over with zero problems out of trans.
Only time you need to take it out of OD is if it starts to shift hunt back and forth.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 02/25/14 10:38 PM

Love mine. It's a 2001 quad cab 4x4 automatic w/ 190k on it. When I bought it it had 160k on it. An old man had it and pulled a camper w/ it.

If the truck you're looking at has an aftermarket lift pump on it, that's good. If it doesn't have one, you'll need to put one on it...as well as a fuel pressure gauge.
I have the Raptor lift pump kit on mine...do not get one of these, lol.

By now the front end has probably already been rebuilt. If it hasn't, it's surely worn out. It'll wander all over the road, but it can be fixed.
New ball joints, track bar, and one of those steering box stabilizer bars made a huge difference.
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/sinister/steering-stabilizer.htm

I'm no help if it's a manual trans, but the automatics are fairly weak. I'm almost certain my truck has a re-man trans in it.

Parts for these trucks are WAY cheaper than the later model stuff.

If you like mud tires, you can fit 35s on them w/o doing anything else to it.
Posted By: 07dodge

Re: 5.9 24V Cummins Question - 03/04/14 10:45 PM

Wow, gorgeous truck Triggerfish!

These guys pretty much covered it, although I would say I wouldn't be concerned over the miles vs age, these trucks aren't that fragile that it would be a huge factor.

Also, 24v's don't have the injector issues the Common Rails do; if a CR loses and injector, good chance of melting a piston and needing a rebuild (been there, done that), whereas a 24v or 12v loses an injector, you swap it and keep trucking.
© 2024 Moparts Forums