got rid of the greasy plywood
used alum aircraft flooring

used the 92 club cab firewall and floor
due to rust issues with the 73

out with the 4.10
in with a 3.07 from a box truck

Posted By: High Impact

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 11:56 AM

Here's mine. Had it for about 13 years now.....Its hauled a lot of stuff other than car's. It was very handy hauling wood and drywall when I re-did an old body shop and turned into my dream garage!

Attached picture 8044084-2013-10-0418.50.49.jpg
Posted By: High Impact

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 12:00 PM

84 chevy (i know,i know) 502-700R4-4.10's. Cab's getting rusty so I picked up one from Texas a couple years ago....ANOTHER PROJECT I need to get too...

Attached picture 8044086-1382537699153.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 05:09 PM

My junk. It is in the process of getting the ramp frame strengthened and new sides and I am thinking of changing the rear end. I have 4.10's also but was considering 3.54's. Why 3.07's, seems like the Cummins would struggle to get going?

Attached picture 8044259-ramptruckand73newyorker.JPG
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 06:30 PM

Jim, when you are under there, can you measure and see how much the frame has been stretched please? I'm curious.

Thanks

Dennis
Posted By: DusterJeff

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 09:08 PM

Nice job on that truck....
Posted By: swapman

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Jim, when you are under there, can you measure and see how much the frame has been stretched please? I'm curious.

Thanks

Dennis

Please RHINOTRUCK don't do this. The thing will collapse. Then we will have to call Eric to fish you out with the Jaws of life.
Posted By: draginmopars

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 11:10 PM

Quote:

Why 3.07's, seems like the Cummins would struggle to get going?

Won't be hauling a boat

For us it was easier to lower the truck, than raise the Rampage

changed from 245-16 to 215-16
plus spring changes front and rear
the 4.10 gear killed the speed/mileage

We like going to Bradenton
so put the 3.07 rear in

1st in the 5-speed is no problem to get rolling

engine also has a few fuel mods for more torque,and
ported the head/exhaust manifold,

our 92(stock eng/5-speed/3.54, 235-16) seems to struggle more than the 73 climbing hills

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/18/14 11:34 PM

Quote:

Nice job on that truck....

Thanks, it's been a long road, we got lots of hours in it

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/19/14 12:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Dennis

I will do that tomorrow after my job interview...
Posted By: blaze

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/21/14 10:46 PM

Not a very good picture, here's mine.....

Attached picture 8048332-dodgetailgateplowtruckcamelbackheads023.JPG
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/23/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Dennis

Mine is a 19' bed and it was stretched 48".

Has anyone tried stretching their own truck in their driveway?? I am wanting to do another truck and am thinking about maybe stretching it myself but I want it as straight as possible. I've never seen anyone like Hodges actually do this process while building a hauler but I would think the truck would have to be tied down to a floor jig or something to keep everything in line??
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/23/14 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Dennis

Mine is a 19' bed and it was stretched 48".

Has anyone tried stretching their own truck in their driveway?? I am wanting to do another truck and am thinking about maybe stretching it myself but I want it as straight as possible. I've never seen anyone like Hodges actually do this process while building a hauler but I would think the truck would have to be tied down to a floor jig or something to keep everything in line??

Thanks. I didn't know you had one. I keep thinking about the dually you are selling, but just can't afford paying Hodges 15-20k for the bed and conversion. I have another idea, not sure if I will ever go through with it though.

Dennis

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/26/14 11:51 PM

I finally got under the truck and measured the frame rails. it looks like they added 57" with overlapping the original frame about a foot. Here are some pics.

Attached picture 8053978-IMG_20140225_113341659.jpg

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/26/14 11:52 PM

A nudder...

Attached picture 8053979-IMG_20140225_113354341.jpg

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/26/14 11:53 PM

Again...

Attached picture 8053980-IMG_20140225_113407093.jpg

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/26/14 11:54 PM

Last one...

Attached picture 8053982-IMG_20140225_113417605.jpg

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/27/14 09:41 AM

Quote:

I finally got under the truck and measured the frame rails. it looks like they added 57" with overlapping the original frame about a foot. Here are some pics.

That is interesting
so, instead of stretching the frame, they added to it ?

Ours was stretched, starting 1 foot behind the rear cab mount

they used 7' length of C channel to over lay the frame and plated on the inside
over lapped about 1' each end

Is the rear frame straight or does it have the hump over the axle

reason I ask
we have a 92 CTD club cab, And I know where a wrecked roll back is.

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/27/14 05:23 PM

The frame rails are straight where the axle is located I believe, they used air bags also. I will check again today.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/28/14 12:34 AM

I used to work at Monroe Truck Inc, they used to stretch a lot of big trucks for industry.
All of the trucks I saw they stretched had "C" channels and at least 1 crossmember added to the original frame. There was a 8" to 12" overlap (probably depending on the expected load the truck would see) on both ends to the section that was added, always ahead of the rear axle. The C channels were bolted to the original frames with 8 bolts on each rail, at each end of the added section. There were 2 sets of bolts on the side rails about 4" apart (depending on the amount of overlap), and 2 bolts on the top and 2 bolts on the bottom flanges, also about 4" apart. These grade 8 bolts were probably 3/4" or 1" diameter each. Each section added had at least 1 crossmember (most had 2 crossmembers) with a drive shaft Currier bearing at the center.

A 4' lengthening would be about 6' long with a crossmember at each end of the 4' addition. The new section was built before installation and added as a unit. The trucks were set on stands, measured, cut, cleaned up, and the new section was slid onto the existing frame, squared, leveled, clamped drilled and bolted, the the rear section was added to the new section and the process repeated. A new drive shaft section was made to fit between the Currier bearings.
They had a stack of frame sections made for orders, and the frame lengthening operation was completed in about a day, start to finish. The conversion of standard cabs to quad cabs was neat to see take place as well, but that took a little longer then a day. Gene

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/28/14 04:25 AM

Yep, the frame rails were straight and the rear spring perch holes were used for the where the front spring perches are now and the rear spring perch was bolted to the rear of the added straight sections. Seems to work well, but they cut-out part of the c-channel that made the main bed rails because the Hodges beds. are made for chassis cab trucks that have different frame rail spacing. It needs to be strengthened there now as one of the rails has cracked.

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 02/28/14 05:27 AM

thanks for the info,
If we buy the wrecked roll back (hit in front)
looks like it would be easier to clip the rear at the cab, rather than adapt it to the club cab frame

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 03/01/14 05:35 PM

here's one for someone
1970 D-300 318 4bbl 4 speed. 20 ft dove tail. 12,000 lb winch.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/4346085729.html

Attached picture 8057256-iii.jpg
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: any-- car haulers --lets see them - 03/02/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

here's one for someone
1970 D-300 318 4bbl 4 speed. 20 ft dove tail. 12,000 lb winch.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/4346085729.html

Very cool looking truck body!!! Is it my imagination or is this truck sagging in the middle??
© 2024 Moparts Forums