Moparts

WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway!

Posted By: 69HemiGTX

WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/02/14 07:37 AM

First off, this isn't being done by me. I'm paying for it. Built vs. bought, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm 8000 miles away and I want it done. So the hard part will be handled by someone who has already done it several times, and I can't complain about the price.

So here we go. I'm sure a lot of you know about my ugly dually. It's hideous, it has a gas guzzling 440 in it, and it's 2WD. Ugh... The guy doing the swap went to look at a truck for me, was told "I'm gonna fix it up someday," (how many times have we heard that?), and wound up finding a 91.5 donor on the scenic route home. Nice price, intercooled, 4X4, Getrag, dually, etc. SOLD! He's keeping the bale spike bed, but he's unsure about the bumper. It's beyond stout. The uprights are 0.120 wall 2X6 square tubing. I might use it. I don't know. Sorry y'all, I'm keeping the fender badges. I'm going to do all of the small detail crap, but he's doing the swap and 4X4 conversion. Thank you, tax return!

Here's Big Nasty:

Attached picture 8022542-DSCN1823-1.jpg

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/02/14 07:38 AM

Here's the donor:

If you look in the background, the Chevy C-10 is the exact color scheme I'm putting on my dually.

Attached picture 8022543-photo1.jpg

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/02/14 07:39 AM

Bumper:

Attached picture 8022544-photo3.jpg
Posted By: redraptor

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/02/14 01:51 PM

Score on the donor!
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/02/14 05:37 PM

Have him document the project and post pics!

Do you think you'll be able to use the intercooler with the original grill?

Robert
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/02/14 05:42 PM

Please let me know if you ever want to sell that bumper, I have been looking for a stout bumper for the front of my ramp truck. I gave one away on my 85 W300 wrecker I parted out before I bought my rampar...

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/03/14 03:35 AM

He's going to send me pics as he goes. I have no idea how thoroughly he will, though. As far as using the old the grille, he has a 78, and he said the turn signal housings interfere with the intercooler a little bit. For brevity, he's going to swap the whole intercooled core support into my truck. He won't cut any sheetmetal to try to mate the old with the new. I'll take care of that. I want my truck to look like a factory-delivered 78 with a Cummins, so all of the old stuff is staying. If that won't work, I'll use either the NOS 74-76 or 79-80 quad lamp grilles I have.

Rhino, if neither he nor I decide to use the bumper, I'll let you know. It's in Marlow, OK, though.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/03/14 06:20 AM

he will have to use the cummins core support for the radiator and the intercooler to fit----the grill headlight may have to hand fit..

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/03/14 09:18 AM

True. My plan is to use the intercooled core support, then swap the sheetmetal that mounts the headlight buckets between the two. It will have to be cut out of my 78 and welded into the 91. Several people have done it before. It will have the 91's grille until I do this, if it even has one at all.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 02/03/14 08:21 PM

X2 I've got an 84 that I'd like to do the same to! (Except for the 4x4 part)
Quote:

Have him document the project and post pics!

Posted By: 300by500

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/20/14 04:03 AM

Any updates? I'd love to swap one into my '84 Crew!

Attached picture 8275391-20140919_201514.jpg
Posted By: fastmark

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/21/14 04:04 AM

I've done the swap. I had an 84 Crew Cab single wheel one ton. You will have to use the core support from the 91.5 you got from the donor. I bought a brand new grill for the 92-93. I still have an NOS one in the box for a spare. I used the gauges and all the wiring from my donor 91.5. You have to move the wiring bulkhead over about 1" to put in the clutch master if I remember correctly. Other than that it is simple. Here is my one truck. It served me well for ten years. Sold it in 2012 when I bought a new one. The only bad part is the air conditioning is just not up to par for a big cab. Good luck. I sold mine for $6500.

Attached picture 8276128-70rubberbumperbrakets121.JPG
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/21/14 04:28 AM

You don't Have to use the 91-93 setup. Fastback66 used a 79/80 setup. Had to cut the core support to clearance for stuff and the lower valance. I'd rather make the 70s grill work instead of using the 91-93 like everyone else seems to. Plus 91-93 is my least fave. Get a Rusty support to cut for mock up and a pattern. Could also try to modify the 91.5 to accept the early headlight buckets. Food for thought.
Posted By: demon

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/21/14 05:02 AM

My buddies and I have built 3 of these cummins trucks. Yes the 78 grille will fit. On my own truck I used the 92 diesel rad support and swapped in the 72-76's headlight mount sections. I also had to swap in the 72-78 hood latch but you won't need to if you just use the 92 hood.
These swaps work really well. I've been driving mine for many years.

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/21/14 10:55 AM

My ecstasy at the beginning of this project has been replaced by a ho-hum feeling. It is moving forward, albeit at a snail's pace. Life got in the way a bit for the guy working on it. I'm patient, and I'm still overseas. I knew it would be a slow process, so I'm not too alarmed. A little anxious, though. At least he got the bale spike bed off the donor.

Attached picture 8276254-donor5.jpg
Posted By: dynotune440

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/21/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

I've done the swap. I had an 84 Crew Cab single wheel one ton. You will have to use the core support from the 91.5 you got from the donor. I bought a brand new grill for the 92-93. I still have an NOS one in the box for a spare. I used the gauges and all the wiring from my donor 91.5. You have to move the wiring bulkhead over about 1" to put in the clutch master if I remember correctly. Other than that it is simple. Here is my one truck. It served me well for ten years. Sold it in 2012 when I bought a new one. The only bad part is the air conditioning is just not up to par for a big cab. Good luck. I sold mine for $6500.

I remember that truck...that was a nice one!
Posted By: hp383

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/23/14 06:20 AM

For what its worth, I like the paint scheme on the truck currently. But I gravitate to the 70's 80's style paint jobs.

Even better would be the large, and heavy metalflake.

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 09/23/14 09:47 AM

I don't mind some paint from that era. I was young and impressionable during that time. But I draw the line at what I consider to be um... feminine colors. This is metallic, but not with flakes like a bass boat.

Oh yeah, I just bought a Borgeson shaft from Ignoble in the classifieds. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Attached picture 8278234-DSCN1825-1.jpg

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/05/15 07:35 AM

Jees Louise! It's been a little over 13 months since I originally posted this thread. What's happened in that time? Not much. The guy doing the work got a divorce and had to move outside of town. The good news is that he now has several acres, a shop, and no close neighbors. The bad news is that his ex drug him through the ringer with back-n-forth court visits before they finally settled their differences. However, I have used the time to accumulate some good parts:

The Borgeson shaft mentioned above
A full set of custom Auto Meter gauges
A brand-new NV4500 with the 5th gear fix and cast iron tailhousing
An Advance Adapters swap kit
All new Anchor Industries engine and trans mount bushings
ARP flywheel bolts
And the Valair clutch and flywheel I just ordered this morning.

I know it's not a lot, but I'm on a budget, and at least I'm getting the transmission taken care of. He and I also agreed to swap diffs. He's looking for 4.10s, and my donor has them. Conversely, he has 3.54s under his dually crew cab, which I've been looking for. Can you say free gear swap?

BTW, he's keeping the bumper. Oh well, the uprights are in front of the turn signals in the grille, so he'll have to swap stuff around to use it. If you've read into what I've said so far, yes, he has a 78 crew cab dually, too, and it's the most recent Cummins 4x4 swap he's done. The more, the merrier! This one is his. It's actually an 84 cab, but all of the red and silver panels are from a 78. I had to remove some personal info from the pic, hence the gray rectangle.

Attached picture 8449669-dually.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/05/15 03:28 PM

Did the steering shaft you got have the universal or rag joint on it? Some have had problems with the universal joint shaft separating.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forum...y-alert-137320/

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/07/15 07:28 AM

Yes, mine is a double-joint shaft. I posted the following in the thread you linked to.

Quote:

I plan on drilling a hole into (but not through) the splined end of the factory steering column. I will then install the Borgeson shaft, thread a tap into the setscrew hole, and then tap the newly drilled hole so a longer setscrew can engage both the Borgeson and Dodge parts. I'll buy a longer setscrew if I need to. See the pic below if you're confused. This will keep the u-joint from ever sliding off. The setscrew will experience minimal torsional loads, mostly single-shear stress.

Here's my blueprint:

Attached picture 8452151-borgesonfix.jpg
Posted By: dynotune440

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/07/15 04:42 PM

That orange looks familiar.....
We built Frankenstein a few years back...
Cummins, NV4500, Dana 61-70....

Attached picture 8452358-1418339850.jpg
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/07/15 04:48 PM

That's nice. My buddy has a nice rustfree crewcab dually 2WD and a Cummins donor truck. I'd buy it but I just don't need a crewcab.

Sheldon

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/08/15 09:03 AM

Quote:

I'd buy it but I just don't need a crewcab.

Sheldon

There's never enough room when you're 6' 6" tall. I always say it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Plus, it irritates the hippies.
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/08/15 09:22 AM

What are your plans for the 2wd front end? I have a single wheel truck I'd like to convert

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/08/15 03:03 PM

The front wheel adapters? Honestly, I figured they'd go to the scrapyard and become Chinese goods. If you're interested, they'll eventually be available, but I have no idea when. At least they won't be too far away, only about 360 miles. I'll make a note that you want them and drop you a line when they come off.
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: WOO HOO! My Cummins swap is officially underway! - 03/08/15 03:06 PM

Thank you
© 2024 Moparts Forums