Moparts

Chrome Powder Coating

Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Chrome Powder Coating - 01/06/14 10:10 PM

Contemplating having the grill on my 1978 Power Wagon powder coated in chrome. The anodizing is pretty much gone and I would like to entertain some thoughts on this process. Anybody have any experience?
Posted By: Mike P

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/07/14 02:21 AM

I've checked into it for a few parts I'm going to have done eventually. The sample pieces I was shown actually look a lot closer to polished aluminum than chrome, but in my case that is more what I want anyway.
Posted By: V10nacuda

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/07/14 02:32 AM

Not nesessarly chrome color... but any other color on many aluminum pieces... worked great!

Keep us updated with pics... i have a tube grill that might be a good choice for this process..

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/07/14 02:46 AM

Thanks guys
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/07/14 03:52 AM

How about polishing it and having it clear powder coated???

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/07/14 07:57 AM

Good Idea. However don't you have to remove the annodizing in order to polish it?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/08/14 12:33 AM

Anodizing will come off once you start polishing it
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Chrome Powder Coating - 01/08/14 01:13 AM

get ez off in a yellow can, a 3m green scuff pad, and some rubber gloves. soak an area with ez off, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. using the gloves, support the piece, and scrub with the 3m pad. you should end up with nice shiny aluminum when you're done. do small sections at a time, and rinse it thoroughly when you finish a section. worked on my lrx grill.
© 2024 Moparts Forums