Moparts

Dakota frame swaps

Posted By: demon

Dakota frame swaps - 10/27/13 10:32 PM

I have a Dakota that I plan to tear off the body and swap on an older body, probably a 49-59 Studebaker pickup but possibly an old Dodge body.
Let's hear about your Dakota swaps and see some pictures.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Dakota frame swaps - 10/28/13 01:53 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7880770

The frame is wider than an s10 so you can't drop them as low. I used all the brake lines off the truck which was nice. Had to move the motor back around five inches. Swapping to five bolt pattern just rotors on the front and axels and drums in the rear.

Look in the street rodder forum as a couple more have been done there..
Posted By: rattler

Re: Dakota frame swaps - 10/28/13 03:46 AM

Here's a pic of my 57 on most of an 88 dak frame. I actually joined the dak forward section with the rear half of the 57 frame to get the stance that I wanted.

Attached picture 7903192-beachshot(2).jpg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Dakota frame swaps - 10/29/13 03:50 AM

Old race car look is a 48 Plymouth business coupe on a Dakota chassis. Used the Dakota floor pan & firewall. Moved the "cab" back 7" and cut 8" out of the wheel base between the cab and the fuel tank so the wheel bases matched. The Dakota was a standard cab long box, the coupe had 114" wheel base (if I remember correctly, old age sucks). Used the Dakota drive train as well, the motor & trans were moved back 7" as well. Shortened the drive shaft. The car has been on the road for 2 full summers and has logged about 8,000 miles. It is a work in progress, but will never be "pretty". Gene

Attached picture 7904344-white&bluecoupe2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums