Moparts

46RH/47RH questions re: swapping

Posted By: Wyle E Coyote

46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/13/13 06:54 AM

It's become apparent to me that I can't reach my drivability goals with my truck without an overdrive transmission. This is going into my converted Scout 2 that now sports a 360/727/D20 combo. So going to the OD transmission will be relatively easy. What I need to know is what models that used them have a passenger's side drop for the transfer case. I plan on using the matching transfer case, (a NP 241 if memory serves) to make things easier, though I know I will have to make new drivelines and shift linkages. But it's easier than doing all of that AND building a new front axle. Any other advice, hints, tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/13/13 07:28 AM

starting in 94 they were drivers drop...
Posted By: redraptor

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/13/13 12:46 PM

Quote:

I can't reach my drivability goals with my truck without an overdrive transmission.

And what goals would they be?
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/13/13 05:57 PM

Early 90s 2500+ I think it was, had married np205s with a passenger side drop.

It took me quite a while to find that 205.

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/14/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I can't reach my drivability goals with my truck without an overdrive transmission.

Mainly I want to get my RPM's down at freeway speeds. Right now, I'm running 31's with 3.54 gears, and she turns about 3k at 70. Even when I run my 33's on it, it doesn't help much. The gearing for it is perfect for most everything else I do with it really. I just need another gear for highway cruising.

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/15/13 12:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mainly I want to get my RPM's down at freeway speeds. Right now, I'm running 31's with 3.54 gears, and she turns about 3k at 70. Even when I run my 33's on it, it doesn't help much. The gearing for it is perfect for most everything else I do with it really. I just need another gear for highway cruising.

Sounds reasonable. Also sounds like a lot of work. I gotta a buddy who wants an O.D. tranny for his slanty cuz of the same reason. Dunno, with the money spent you won't get any realized gas savings for a long time and I don't recall saying about an old car in the junkyard it's there because the motor was over-revved driving across the country. Just sayin'. Take pics for us.

Ok, now everyone beat me up.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/15/13 01:57 AM

I broke a lot of stuff just driving across the country, but it wasn't exactly at the posted speed limit.
You can beat me up now. Gene

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/15/13 08:18 AM

I realize that the lower RPM's by themselves won't help much with milage, but combined with EFI it will. As it is right now, to go the speed limit of 75 (outside the metro area), I am turning over 3,000. I see no need for that if I can avoid it.

And the EFI I am referring to is a converted GM TBI system I have. Let the beatings begin.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/15/13 06:20 PM

All these "beatings" you guys sure this isn't an S&M thread?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/15/13 07:11 PM

Quote:

And the EFI I am referring to is a converted GM TBI system I have. Let the beatings begin.

So, how hard was it to convert the GM unit to the small block Mopar? You were going to do a "how to" on that, right? Gene

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/16/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

That sounds cool. I'd like to hear more about that. It's interesting that 3.54 gears and 33" tires wouldn't give you a comfortable highway RPM.

Re: 46RH/47RH questions re: swapping - 10/16/13 01:05 AM

Here's the best source for the EFI info:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47254
© 2024 Moparts Forums