Moparts

4 spd to 5 spd conversion ???

Posted By: HotRodDave

4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/06/13 11:38 PM

So I have an NV 3500 from a 97 4x4 ram I want to put in my 90 with a granny low 4 spd 4x4. Will it all just bolt up and work awesome or is there a bunch of other stuff I need to do?
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/07/13 07:07 AM

I would assume it should be fairly easy swap as both are Hydraulic. Id be interested in your 4spd setup if shipping is kosher . They hah 5spds in the Late 80s early 90 trucks already. A members sob swapped a 5spd into his 88/90 truck. Its on RC. User name Mr GUSTY.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/10/13 06:56 PM

I guess if no body has done this I will pull the trans from my parts trucks (one 4 spd and one 5 speed) and compare them and see how everything matches up.

I would happily sell both of my 4 speed set ups, any idea what they are worth?
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/10/13 10:43 PM

I have not done this, But I can not imagine that it will be a hard swap to do. I think the only real hangups will be the crossmember and the Clutch pedal /master cyl setup. And i don't think even tat will be a big deal. Obviously driveshafts will need to be checked for fit.

There was a guy on here that did the NV3500 swap to a D-series, but it was 2WD. I think he said it was a straight foward swap too. And being your truck is alrady a 4X4, you have the bigger floor pan which I am sure your going to need with the NV3500 due to its bigger size. I know it is alot easier to ask if someone has done it, so you can find out about problems, but with no responses, I think you will have to maybe try some other boards---maybe someone at RamchargerCentral has done it.

I know I had to do a ton a research and measuring for odd things I have done, it just takes time. Luckily for us---similar to GM, Mopar kept things rather simple and easy to swap parts.

If all else fails, get out in the garage and go for it!!

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/11/13 04:02 AM

I paid $50 for my last 4spd and it came with the T-case. There's another Im thinking of getting for a 2wd for $50 aswell
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/11/13 04:53 AM

My son swapped an NV4500 into his automatic 88. The trans adapter bolted to the transfer case no problem. You will probably have to fab a crossmember though. My son had to build one. Don't know about the NV3500 but it should be the same deal.

Sheldon

Attached picture 7883601-sean42003.JPG

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/11/13 03:05 PM

That's who I was referring to earlier
Posted By: Magnum

Re: 4 spd to 5 spd conversion ??? - 10/18/13 03:41 AM

I swapped a 94 NV3500 into an 87.

Mine was an auto 2 wheel drive.

You will need the correct balanced flywheel. The entire hydraulic throwout bearing release assembly from the newer truck.

I probably spent more time measuring the mounting of the clutch master cylinder to the firewall than any other part of the job.
© 2024 Moparts Forums