Moparts

Charging problem on my Diesel Ram

Posted By: 440dana

Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/26/13 11:22 PM

The volt meter on my Ram will only show about 10 or 11 and after a mile will fall to the far left side of the gauge(8).After cleaning all connections failed to change anything I removed the alternator for testing. The stud broke off so I bought a new Bosch unit. It worked well for a day ( about 20 miles) then did the same thing all over again. This whole thing also affects the shifting as the transmission only stays in drive, and will not downshift or go into overdrive.
Posted By: Cooter

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 12:02 AM

What year Ram?

I ran into a similar situation on my '93,

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 12:19 AM

It's a 2000 4X4.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 01:33 AM

Any chance the crank sensor is intermittent??? With no crank sensor, the system will NOT charge,the tach won't work, and you'll have no OD either. What bothers me is you say that the volt guage goes down to 8 volts.....Have you tried another battery/batteries??? Usually if a crank sensor goes, it will loose voltage slowly.....not drop dramatically.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 01:47 AM

I'd be checking charging output with a dvom at the back of the alt. The JTEC controller provides power to the alt field (blue), and a duty cycled ground (green). pretty cut n dried.

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 06:12 PM

I replaced the crank position sensor a few years back, but that was because it would skip frequently at idle, but nothing else was wrong. After replacing it the problem disappeared.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 08:43 PM

Well...it's like J Body says...the PCM needs to see the "engine running" signal from the sensor to power the field circuit....You have some testing to do.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/27/13 11:08 PM

had an earlier 12 valve that the connector on the crank sensor rotted out, causing the exact problems you describe. hope this helps.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/28/13 03:49 AM

Old 12 valve totally different animal. Crank sense on those was soley to let the SBEC controller know the engine was running. 2000 VP equipped truck has two controllers. The JTEC controller on the firewall is the brainchild for the charging system. Cam and crank are present and engine starts is all done throught the ECM on the engine block.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/28/13 05:14 AM

When I had a problem with mine I believe I saw something about using an added voltage regulator. It's controlled by the computer otherwise. My net is really slow right now or else I'd find a link.
Posted By: tahoechallenge

Re: Charging problem on my Diesel Ram - 09/28/13 06:25 AM

Is the grid heater staying on? I know on other equipment a bad grid heater relay will keep the heater on. The heater uses a lot of power and will exceed the output of the alternator and drain the batteries.
© 2024 Moparts Forums