Moparts

Heating issues; '98 Ram 5.9

Posted By: hemi68charger

Heating issues; '98 Ram 5.9 - 08/20/13 03:27 AM

Hey gang..
I have a '98 Ram SS/T I've own since new. I'm currently having cooling issues. After driving awhile, the temperatures get way up there, like a 230-245.... It has never run this warm. Last week I took it to my local Goodyear to have the radiator pressure flushed. The radiator's not any more than 5 years old. I'm thinking two things; the thermostat isn't opening all the way or I have a blown head gasket? How do I check to see if the head gasket is leaking into the water jackets? I bought a new thermostat, so I'll replace it this weekend....
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Heating issues; '98 Ram 5.9 - 08/20/13 05:38 AM

Thermostat is one possibility Troy.....the other would be the fan clutch. See if there's any oily stuff on the face of the clutch unit.
I replaced the rad and thermostat on my 92 Cummins.....it was the fan clutch that fixed it.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Heating issues; '98 Ram 5.9 - 08/20/13 03:23 PM

I'll go ahead and replace it as well........ The clutch is the original one to the truck. It is clean, but has 207,000 miles on it.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Heating issues; '98 Ram 5.9 - 08/21/13 10:34 PM

Do not rule out the radiator. It may look and seem ok, and you even talk yourself into saying but it's only XX years old as you did. But I am telling you a buddy had it happen and just this year with only 3 years on mine it happened to me. Radiator was going bad. Swap it out and all is good. It sounds crazy I know, but its the truth. Mine after driving awhile, especially highway speeds made the gauge climb --it would never over heat, but it got warm at 230-235 with the A/C on. It would stay 210-215ish with the a/c off.

In talking to some rad shops, they all said and agree don't expect much out of these newer "cheap parts store" radiators. I personally felt cheated only getting three years out of mine--of course that is all the warranty is good for on the one I bought.
© 2024 Moparts Forums