Moparts

92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure?

Posted By: 61 NYer Convt

92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 03:20 PM

Hi guys. My front axle u joints are toast. Im having trouble finding any info on the procedure of changing the front axle u joints in the CAD dana 44 axle. Could someone please give some info on procedure, tools needed, parts (besides u joints) etc? any info is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 04:28 PM

Harder to explain than it is to do, but, press out the tie-rod, press out the ball joints and slide the axle out. Put in greasables for u-joints and stay on top of greasing them (like every 2000 miles or so). You have to be very careful installing the shaft into the axle tubes: if you hit the seal too hard it'll wind up leaking and the whole mess has to come apart again. Changing those inner axle seals is a truely miserable experience.

With the right key words you can find the procedure on "Pirate 4x4" or something like that.

That's it in a nutshell, get the large "C" clamp "4x4 front end tool kit" because it will make life easy for you. I can post a picture if you like.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 04:47 PM

It's a 92, no special tools needed. Basically you take the rotors off then pull the axle out through the hub and change the u-joints. I can't remember but I think you pull the CAD off so you can guide the axle back into the sleeve.

Sheldon
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 04:57 PM

Why would he tear it completely apart like you suggest?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

It's a 92, no special tools needed. Basically you take the rotors off then pull the axle out through the hub and change the u-joints. I can't remember but I think you pull the CAD off so you can guide the axle back into the sleeve.

Sheldon

I always engage it in 4wd first. That way the CAD gear will stay in place on the intermediate shaft. About the only tool you will need is the wheel bearing nut 4 pronged socket.
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 05:00 PM

http://ramchargercentral.com/articles/?sa=view;article=86

The link is not a CAD but close enough- only yhe hub is different. You will need a special socket to get the lock nuts out of the hub- don't use the punch method. The tie rod ends and ball joints stay right where they are on a CAD- no need to touch. A big vise, press or 4x4 ball joint press will make things easier.

The place where most people screw up is putting things back together and adjusting the front wheel bearings properly. A FSM can help, or a copy may have been posted on RCC. If you do a alot of these, you can do it by feel, but a torque wrench helps.

Tools:
lock nut socket
1/2 extension and socket
torque wrench
pick or small screwdriver
c clip pliers (forget the proper name)
jack
safety stand

Lastly, watch where the pin for the internal lock nut is because most people don't know its there and ruin the whole set or the bearings back off and cause problems

This is not rocket science, easy to do. Good time to repack bearings at same time, in which case you'll need the inner bearing seal as well.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 05:08 PM

Forgot about the 4 point socket, I take this stuff for granted most of the time.

Sheldon
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

Forgot about the 4 point socket, I take this stuff for granted most of the time.

Sheldon

Before we had extra money for fancy sockets a punch or chisel was used to remove and install the nuts. [lol] Never had a manual or internet to do the job.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/17/13 09:35 PM

Quote:

Why would he tear it completely apart like you suggest?

Sorry 'bout that guys: I had play in my uppers and had to do them anyway. Pulled it apart to do two jobs in one.

Thanks for correcting, Sheldon.
Posted By: 61 NYer Convt

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/18/13 03:11 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna do it tomorrow. If I engage it in 4wd before taking it apart will I still need to pull the CAD off the axle?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 92 W150 front axle u-joint replacement procedure? - 08/18/13 03:48 AM

That's it. Fire it up, throw lever in lock, making sure the light comes on on dash and shut truck off then, and you should be able to get through the job w/out removing the cad 4 bolts stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums