Moparts

75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ??

Posted By: Kern Dog

75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 02:26 AM

I thought it would be easier than this.
I pulled the foggy, crappy aftermarket rear slider out of the Power Wagon today. I have a one piece tinted back glass that I am trying to install.
I've installed windshields and curved rear windows in Dusters, but this flat glass is giving me cuss fits.
I tried checking on youtube but most of what I see is urethane type installs.
Is the rubber gasket different with the sliders versus the one piece glass?
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Greg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 03:11 AM

Are you dealing with a nice new, soft rubber gasket, or an old hard one?
If you are reusing the one from the slider, might want to check 2 things, 1) some sliders are a little smaller the others, seems I remember Dodge used 2 different suppliers for the sliders, one was a little smaller then the other, the difference between the 2 sizes was made up in the gasket, if I remember correctly. The glass was the same size as the larger slider (maybe there were 2 different size rear windows ).
2) If the slider was aftermarket, the thickness of the rubber gasket flange may be thinner the the thickness of the glass.

At any rate, I do remember people having issues with glass/slider sizes being different in some cases. How is that for good news? Sorry. Gene
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: 75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 03:43 AM

I believe the gasket is different between the two but not sure. Its alot easier with 2 people. I've installed a few flat. Tried to do a slider but we could not get it. Neighbors kids busted out the one that was in it
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 03:56 AM

Put the glass in the rubber, put a small nylon rope in the outer groove crossing at the bottom. Two people, silicone the seal and rope place the glass into the cab opening bottom side first. Get the rope inside and have the guy on the outside hold the glass to the cab as you pull the rope pulling the seal to the inside around the pinch welded seam. 5 minute job.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 04:05 AM

Thank you, thank you...
I found out that the gasket used with the slider window was different and used a lock strip. The non slider window was bigger than the frame of the slider, so a different gasket was required.
I dug around my stash and found a gasket I saved from a truck I parted out in 2010. It uses no lock strip. I did as Nitrousn suggested, I put the gasket on the glass, then I put a 5/16 rope in the channel. I was able to install it myself in about 10 minutes after I got my head on straight.
Thanks again guys. I appreciate the tips.

Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: 75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 06:41 PM

I did a slider with the chrome lock strip recently, after that experience I would recommend the rope gaskets to anyone.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: 75 Power Wagon rear window install tips ?? - 08/03/13 11:34 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums