Moparts

Catalatic convertor in a 2003 Dodge

Posted By: flatiron

Catalatic convertor in a 2003 Dodge - 06/30/13 06:53 PM

Hello,
My check engine light is flashing which according to the owners manual says it's the catalatic convertor. It's a 2003 Dodge with a 5.7 Hemi. I don't have to worry about emmissions and cash is really short. Will it still run right if I knock a hole in it clean it out and cover the hole back up?
Posted By: mod381

Re: Catalatic convertor in a 2003 Dodge - 06/30/13 07:19 PM

A flashing check engine light means you have a cylinder misfire. A cylinder misfire will damage the catalytic converter. First thing to do is find out what cylinder is misfiring and why. How does it run?

Re: Catalatic convertor in a 2003 Dodge - 06/30/13 07:28 PM

Running fine no misfires and seems to pull fine when I step on the gas. I did notice the check engine light does not flash if im coasting. It only flashes when I'm pushing the gas pedal.

Re: Catalatic convertor in a 2003 Dodge - 06/30/13 07:31 PM

guess I should say it doesnt feel like it's miss firing. you know jerky feeling or popping or anything like that...But I could be wrong
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Catalatic convertor in a 2003 Dodge - 07/02/13 12:46 PM

a flashing check engine light means "catalyst damaging misfire!" there is raw gas going into the cat. get it on a scanner asap, and fix the misfire. then run a cat check (drive cycle, and look at the cat flag in I/M readiness screen). if it passes, you got lucky!
© 2024 Moparts Forums