Moparts

dakota

Posted By: gkurschner

dakota - 06/30/13 05:29 PM

Can anyone tell me the best and most economical way to change my 6 lug 1997 Dakota 2wd to a 5 bolt pattern configuration. Any help would be appreciated. Mopar 1953
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: dakota, pattern change - 07/01/13 01:50 AM

Starting at the rear, you would push out the studs, plug weld the axle flanges, redrill the pattern and get some matching drums. Of course, you might find that a different year 5 lug axle shaft would interchange and then you would have a new stock axle shaft. In the front you would need to go from the spindles out. In other words, research when the change was made to 5 lug, compare the spindles from yours to the 5 lug, if the spindles are the same then get new 5 lug rotors (common wear items) along with matching bearings and brakes. You can learn a lot by going to the rockauto.com web site and comparing part numbers. I was once offered a complete set of Hollander interchange manuals, I wish that I had bought them. Finally, I don't believe in wheel adapters (dangerous)
Posted By: poorboy

Re: dakota - 07/01/13 06:56 AM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me the best and most economical way to change my 6 lug 1997 Dakota 2wd to a 5 bolt pattern configuration. Any help would be appreciated. Mopar 1953

Put a 90 frame under it. 90 was the last year for the 5 lug wheels.
I believe you will find not much will match up, 97 is the next generation frame (96 was the end of the old one). You have the slip on rotors, and I think the spindles are different then the old ones. I believe I've read the rear axles are different lengths then the 96 & older ones as well. Gene
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: dakota - 07/01/13 12:55 PM

Call Brandon Burns, the guy who started this thread:

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17734

He CNC cuts his own billet hubs and then drills them to whatever bolt pattern you want.

I think he was charging around $300 shipped for the pair of front hubs

then call Moser and order yourself a set of rear axle shafts, also drilled in whatever bolt pattern you want. Cost for those was around $350 last I checked.

in the end, you get a real, "correct" 5-lug conversion for less than $700, and your aftermarket/custom wheel selection opens up, AND they are cheaper.

Or you can do the fill/drill on your original hubs/axle shafts for a lot less, and hope the welder didn't have an off day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums