Moparts

JY whiplash

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

JY whiplash - 06/08/13 05:16 AM

well i picked up the 88-tbi 318 from a B-150 van today for 300$

ordering up a whiplash roller cam/springs and will be doing a backyard frshin up with it.

all new gaskets with a nice roller cam swap alittle paint and it will be good to go with the 5 speed conversion in the 88 truck.

once I get the engine 5 speed swaped in i order up a rear disc brake conversion from DrDiff next.

whiplash/5 speed/disc brakes

I am going to list some of the stuff off this 318, it was a non-a/c with a mini alt.

nice brackets and it has the a/c delete pull someone was looking for the other day too.

nice truck manifolds,working heat valve and a o2 sensor on the other side...seems someone was wanting a set of center dumps here also.

the TBI engine harnes looks to be un-cut and in good shape,i may pull the main batt wire and the feild wires for the mini alt and trans plate then into the 85 harness i used on the 88 truck with the mini alt.

some pics to drool over.

Attached picture 7734862-whiplash-1.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/08/13 05:17 AM

Attached picture 7734863-whiplash-2.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/08/13 05:17 AM

Attached picture 7734864-whiplash-3.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/08/13 05:18 AM

Attached picture 7734867-whiplash-4.jpg
Posted By: VL21

Re: JY whiplash - 06/08/13 03:02 PM

Sooo, Scratch, I must have missed something ...

does this mean you are doing away with the 440 in the yellow truck, or is there another square Dodge in your future?

Russ took it, I stole it ... my favorite

Attached picture 7735108-7465539-001.JPG
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: JY whiplash - 06/08/13 10:20 PM

That motor looks pretty much grease free, just some dirt. Looks like you could even re-use the plugs, wires and cap, valve covers, etc...
What kind of intake/carb will you use? Also are the stock truck manifolds any good? I have a set from the 78 truck motor that I bought.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: JY whiplash - 06/09/13 12:53 PM

Sweet!! What's the 5-speed out of? Does the '88 already have a 3rd pedal?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: JY whiplash - 06/09/13 01:13 PM

I think you'll like that roller cam! I have the 360 version in my 5.9L in the Dakota. my NV3500 did just fine with that motor, and would likely have gone the life of the truck, but I pulled it for a viper spec T-56 so I have room for engine upgrades in the future.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: JY whiplash - 06/09/13 02:32 PM

Do van motors usually stay that clean of could it be a rebuild? (Any rebuild tags on it)

Re: JY whiplash - 06/09/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Do van motors usually stay that clean of could it be a rebuild? (Any rebuild tags on it)

it has never been aprt from the looks of it.looks to have had a t-chain maybe. the t-cover out to pullys have been painted blue.

it was a very low milage 88 ram van. they made me a good deal on it from 650$ down to 300$ cash out the door.

my 91 318 from same place and from a van is a nice little engine also.I swaped in a lunati voodoo roller cam in it and it is a daily drive getting 19+ mpg in the 85 truck.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: JY whiplash - 06/09/13 03:04 PM

what rear ratio is in your '85? cause I don't think I'm getting 19+ with my 3.55s

Re: JY whiplash - 06/09/13 03:16 PM

voodoo roller cam 318,LD4B with q-jet,headers/duels
727non-lock up,stock high stall 10" TC
8 1/4 with 2.76 and a 235/75/15 tire on it

the q-jet and 2.76 gear is the ticket,didnt get mpg like that till I got those 2 items added/dialed in on it.

the q-jet and rpm intake on the stock 440 with a 3.23 gear picked it up from a flat 10mpg to a 15 mpg at 50 mph or less on highway runs.

but most times with my driving I am getting 12-13 mpg or less whn kicking the 2ndarys open.

eddy 500 carb knocks about 8 mpg off the 318 combo so i run the wore out 40 yr old q-jet and come out ahead with bad cold starts in the morning till she warms up good then it runs smooth and knock back 18-19 mpg all day at 55 mph.

not pretty to look at but rides good enuff for me.

Attached picture 7736204-smallblockengine2.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/10/13 12:10 AM

pretty don't get ya home! I was gonna pretty mine up when I did the swap, but had other things to do. I've got the rear outta my '87 that has 2.76s, might swap that if the milage stays low. but right now it's too fun to drive it as is
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: JY whiplash - 06/10/13 02:40 PM

How about getting that air cleaner on right It might get another tenth or so..

Re: JY whiplash - 06/10/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

How about getting that air cleaner on right It might get another tenth or so..

yea,I keep it dirty for wind drag and a little offset to slow it down some on the street.

with the 2.76 gear "my topend is UNLIMETED!... well? till something falls off that is.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: JY whiplash - 06/10/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

yea,I keep it dirty till something falls off that is.

Posted By: patrick

Re: JY whiplash - 06/11/13 01:16 PM

sweet...my duster could use a motor like that....the little slanty sure feels slow ever since I bought my '11 charger R/T

Re: JY whiplash - 06/11/13 10:13 PM

well i have to say...this 88 style alt-a/c bracket sure will make it look like a pig with lipstick after it is all painted hemi orange,with brackets/pullys all balck.

the a/c delete with a mini alt is great, but with these pullys i will have to rig a idler or run a mini PS pump with a single groove pully to run the wp.

with manual steering i dont need the PS pump. so... do I keep this big bracket for mini alt,run a dummy PS pump or swap it over too the older style non a/c brackets for a square back alt....

MaMopar sure didnt want it to fall off the front thats for sure,plenty of bolts and extra bracing on this huge bracket...same with the trans xmember...come on?? 13 bolts! really?? not counting trans mount bolt in with 8 bolts and the cross shaft.

just does not look high performance euff to thrill me I guess?

Attached picture 7739439-whiplashteardown1.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/11/13 10:14 PM

newer mini PS pump bracket.

Attached picture 7739442-whiplashteardown2.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/11/13 10:15 PM

Attached picture 7739443-whiplashteardown3.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 06/11/13 11:39 PM

that's gotta be a couple hundred punds just for the bracket and all those bolts... I'd change it to the older style alt
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: JY whiplash - 06/12/13 01:49 AM

How about a surpentine system off a Magnum motor ??

Re: JY whiplash - 06/12/13 02:05 AM

maybe??? a procharger mounted where the alt goes,moving the mini alt down to the PS pump brackets (eyeballing them I bet i can fit the mini alt there)

lets see...1 belt for the crank/WP/alt mounted down low,with 2 belts for crank/idler/procharger/paxton super charger.

on 2nd thought,that big bracket might have more performance look than I 1st thought.

Attached picture 7739752-whiplashteardown1.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 01:40 PM

been buzy cleaning the 88 engine down for a freshin up. looks like being in a van takes its toll with heat.

i have not saw an enginen this sluged up in a while. looks like the old QuakerState engines from the 70s

so, I find the pick up tube clogged up, oil pump by-pass stuck,lifter all clogged up solid.

so it looks like I will do a re-ring with bearings and oil pump while I have it down.

I would think the piston rings are gummed up goood and stuck in the grooves as well with all the carbon build up in this engine. so they need to come out for a cleaning and new rings.

I drilled the air injection ports in the heads to clean them out, then filled with copper rtv simple/ez/cheap/wont blow or burn out.

cleaning up good, slow but good. looking at the outside it looked clean but the inside not so much.

Attached picture 7784260-JY1.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 01:45 PM

heads cleaning up

Attached picture 7784265-JY2.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 01:48 PM

I used a wire brush to decarbon heads combustion chambers before valves come out.

Attached picture 7784266-JY3.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 01:49 PM

let cure 24 hrs and it will stay and not burn

Attached picture 7784267-JY6.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 01:51 PM

looking much cleaner, lifter come apart for inspection and cleaning.

Attached picture 7784270-JY4.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 01:52 PM

some what clean and waiting for more cleaning.

Attached picture 7784275-JY8.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 02:02 PM

now for a peek at what i found on the 318 that cranked a head 2 yrs ago. I noticed about 3 months before it cracked the head that the oil psi drop about 15 psi across the board one day.

never payed much attention to it,thinking 300,000 miles have taken its toll on the pump and bearings. (I saw cam bearing flacking in 07' when going to roller cam in it)

well i decide to open the pump and check clearances on it to see if it was worn or could be used on a JY engine.

i find a wire from a wire wheel (from the 4-5 times i swaped intakes and used it to clean gasket surfaces)

it was lodged in the by-pass valve holding it open slightly and bleeding the presure off.

the wire looks like it came right out of the wheel went thru the pump, but wire has no flat spots or damage to look at it...the pump not so much.

it went thru it,around it. under it between the cover plate from the looks of it and wound up in the valve sticking it open.

I have had smaller/softer things snap the end off a intermediate shaft but this one took it like a trooper and will go on the shelf for a keep sake along with the pump.( offerings to the broken parts gods)

Attached picture 7784283-oilpump1.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 02:02 PM

Attached picture 7784285-oilpump2.jpg

Re: JY whiplash - 07/21/13 02:04 PM

last one for now.

Attached picture 7784287-oilpump3.jpg
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: JY whiplash - 07/22/13 02:02 AM

you been pretty busy down there mike. mine's coming out, whenever i get back home again.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: JY whiplash - 07/23/13 04:23 AM

You better take the time and really clean that engine. After my experiences with blocks that dirty, best to get it hot tanked. Luckily I had a jack slip and had to change an oil pan otherwise i never would have knew how bad it was inside... there was an inch of crud on the bottom. I had pressure washed the engine inside and out too. What a mess
Posted By: poorboy

Re: JY whiplash - 07/23/13 05:17 AM

Looks like it was one of those 6,000 mile oil change rides where time didn't mean anything. [Its been two years, but we only got 2,000 miles on the oil change, we are good for a couple more years!] I've seen more really cruddy low mile motors then cruddy high mile motors. Short trips that never reach operating temp and long time oil change intervals really crud up a motor.

I agree with the pull down and hot tank it. I would always be concerned a chunk of that crap would come out of some remote location I couldn't clean and lock up an oil pump. Gene

Re: JY whiplash - 07/23/13 01:34 PM

yes,I will tear it down and use a brush kit to hand clean it, I will make sure the oil passages and lifter gallys are clean for sure.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: JY whiplash - 07/24/13 01:14 AM

No more wire brushes when changing intake gaskets. OK? I had an oil pump damaged by a aftermarket oil pick up with a weld "bead" left in the tube only to find the oil pump 15 minutes later. Knocked about 10lbs off the idle pressure and let me know something had "changed". Now I got my "frankenpan" about ready to install on the turbo build and cleaning it up is more work than building the sump.

Re: JY whiplash - 07/24/13 01:23 AM

I know,right? getting away with it for yrs does not mean it is the right way to do it.

I remember seeing that pan when up there last time, i think you might have been about 1/2 way done with it.

Re: JY whiplash - 07/24/13 01:35 AM

Quote:

I know,right? getting away with it for yrs does not mean it is the right way to do it.

I remember seeing that pan when up there last time, i think you might have been about 1/2 way done with it.

I was about 1/2 way done with the mods,cleaning it up enough to feel good that it will not shed anything is my worry. I should have had a friend tig weld it but didn't feel like taking it to his shop. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Re: JY whiplash - 09/17/13 03:03 PM

bump for referance pics

Re: JY whiplash - 09/18/13 01:03 AM

Quote:

bump for referance pics

It's on the engine and in the car,so those pics may be hard to come by. I tore my hand up a few days ago(glue and tape is as good as stitches? correct??) so I'm not getting crap done for a few more days. Got a 408" build to start for a guy so guess I'll heal pretty quickly. That VD cam showed up yesterday. later
© 2024 Moparts Forums