Moparts

72-80 Heater Box Resto?

Posted By: Slant6pak

72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/25/13 03:27 PM

Anybody have a source for A/C, heater box gaskets for the 72-80 trucks? What about the flexible defroster ducts?

I'm about ready to pull my dash and I'd like to rebuild the box and be done with it since it is kind a PITA to pull the dash the with the windshield in.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/25/13 03:47 PM

71 T/A on the board here would be your best bet.
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/26/13 03:37 AM

I contacted Detroit Muscle Technologies about making sets for trucks a long time ago. I never heard anything from them. I guess they're not in it for truck enthusiasts.

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/27/13 01:06 AM

Quote:

I contacted Detroit Muscle Technologies about making sets for trucks a long time ago. I never heard anything from them. I guess they're not in it for truck enthusiasts.

If you go DMT's website there is a note concerning our trucks. I don't believe it is lack of interest, I think it a lack suitable gaskets for copying.

I only have one A/C box(the one in the truck) and all my gaskets are so rotten I don't think there is enough left to use as patterns.

My defroster ducts are pretty much gone, only the steel wire remains.

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/27/13 01:53 AM

Well that's some good news. I haven't checked their site in a long time. If I was home, I'd love to give him my set to copy. Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/27/13 05:31 AM

I finally picked up an AC and Non AC box to duplicate. I actually have a later model AC box I started on first becuase that was the first box I was able to purchase. The Mopar market isn't big so I still have to work a full time day job, goto my 13yo's hockey games, eat dinner with the family occasionally OH and run a business making and researching gaskets (as well as taxes, catalogs, order taking, taking product pictures, ordering raw materials, fixing equipment, etc). I really REALLY like what I do just seems like theres not enough hours in a day. MOST days I work 10-12 hours at my day job then work till 1AM or later at my shop.

Bottomline, I am working on the truck heater boxes. The bad thing is Chryslers of Carlisle is only 5 or 6 weeks away and it takes working late almost every night to get ready. The the Mopar Nationals just outside Columbus is only 4 weeks after Carlisle. So i might not have the kits done till August. I'll try to squeeze them in but I probably will put 100 hours into making each kit - dis-assembly, pictures, reverse engineering and test fit the gaskets, ordering some tooling, doing a quick resto and taking picture to create a manual, creating the manual, etc.

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/27/13 05:48 AM

Great news from the source himself. I applaud you for your efforts, and I will buy a set or two when I need them. I also posted on RCC asking some of those guys over there to help you out. I'd love to, but as you can see by my location, it's impossible.
Posted By: Mopar2DBone

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/27/13 01:37 PM

Cool.. I will also be interested in a couple of kits when available...Thanks..

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/27/13 02:19 PM

Quote:

So i might not have the kits done till August.

Not a problem, I will wait until then and buy one for sure
Posted By: funkyjbp

Re: 72-80 Heater Box Resto? - 05/30/13 03:00 PM

My 77 ac box is taking up an entire shop table at the moment. i bought 1/4 inch black neoprene scuba diving suit foam for the firewall gasket.I've made a few trial runs with an exacto knife and just don't like the cut quality on the edges. i went to three custom picture frame shops to use their laser cutter and no one will try the material on their machine. all of my other gaskets look salvageable. I would buy a full set and wait on them for a few months if they are going to be ready. thanks for the hard work!
© 2024 Moparts Forums