Moparts

Jeep 4.0

Posted By: zrxkawboy

Jeep 4.0 - 05/16/13 03:25 AM

I have a '98 Cherokee with 181k miles. I bought it last summer to use as a winter beater, but last fall, the #6 piston broke (found a couple pieces of the skirt in the oil pan). It sat all winter, as my garage is unheated. Now I need to decide what to do with it. My options seem to be: 1. pull the head and replace the piston, 2. do a full rebuild, or 3. find a good used engine.

I was originally going to rebuild, but honestly, I'm starting to lean toward option 1. I'm not normally one to take the cheap-n-dirty way out, but I'm considering it here because: the Jeep is in decent shape, but certainly not perfect; only using it in the winter, I won't put on a lot of miles; I don't own an engine hoist, though could probably borrow one; and of course, less $!

I've rebuilt engines before, but never just replaced a piston in the vehicle like this. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Jeep 4.0 - 05/16/13 03:57 AM

Quote:

I've rebuilt engines before, but never just replaced a piston in the vehicle like this. Any thoughts are appreciated!

If you rebuilt engines before there is nothing different working on this engine. Pull the head and see what the cylinder looks like.

Re: Jeep 4.0 - 05/16/13 04:16 AM

I just meant if anyone has done something similar, how did it turn out, and would you recommend going this route? From what I could see from the pan, with the piston at TDC, the cyl looked fine.
Posted By: yella71

Re: Jeep 4.0 - 05/16/13 12:39 PM

Slap a piston in and be done with it. no sence in spending tons of cash on a beater. it will be fine
Posted By: Mopar2DBone

Re: Jeep 4.0 - 05/16/13 01:14 PM

Agree with yella.. Put another piston in and keep on Jeepin... Engine probably has many years left in it..
Posted By: VL21

Re: Jeep 4.0 - 05/17/13 02:58 AM

And a new oil pump while you are there.

Re: Jeep 4.0 - 05/17/13 04:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pull the head for a look-see and go from there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums