Moparts

How to adjust the choke thermostat/spring on my '85 Ram

Posted By: rnch

How to adjust the choke thermostat/spring on my '85 Ram - 05/04/13 03:30 PM

I have a new intake manifold well located choke thermostat recently installed on my '85 Ram, 318 engine.

I'm wondering if the choke is opening up too quickly as I have a "flat spot" upon accelerating when the engine is still quite cold (water temperature gauge hasn't moved off the "cold" peg yet).

I have to slowly creep across intersections until it warms up almost all the way.

Can I bend the rod going from the bi-metallic spring to the carb...or can the tension of the spring be adjusted tighter?

Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: How to adjust the choke thermostat/spring on my '85 Ram - 05/04/13 05:16 PM

Do you have a pic? I'm going to get my "new" choke thermostat in a few hours. Those guys (A&E parts 916-452-4962) are sharp. I can ask them if I know exactly what type "stat" you have. Or, you can give them a call after 11:00 PST today.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: How to adjust the choke thermostat/spring on my '85 Ram - 05/04/13 06:35 PM

You have the classic symptoms of a plugged intake heat crossover.
Posted By: rnch

Re: How to adjust the choke thermostat/spring on my '85 Ram - 05/05/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

You have the classic symptoms of a plugged intake heat crossover.

Hmmmmm.... Perhaps so? It starts instantly when cold, in all temperatures and gradually steps down on fast/intermediate/curb idle.

Do I need to yank off the intake manifold to clean out the crossover?
Posted By: VL21

Re: How to adjust the choke thermostat/spring on my '85 Ram - 05/05/13 05:05 PM

Yes, manifold will need to come off, and break out the chisels. Does the manifold get warm (hot) at the crossover area soon after cold start?

Before you do that check to see if the choke pull off is perhaps pulling the choke open too far, this would give you choke when cold, but no enrichment for cold run, soon after start.

If it is the pull off, adjustment is done by carefully bending the link.

Guessing, is this a 318 2v?

My '85 has a transplanted 318 4v, thermoquad, and it took a lot of fooling around to get things working properly, and I'm still not sure ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums