Moparts

Lug stud replacement

Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Lug stud replacement - 04/12/13 05:08 AM

Have a 74 Powerwagon. Decided to drive it today to unload the stuff I had in the bed and toss some stuff in for scrap. I put some aluminum rims on and used it to plow snow this winter. Well on the way home it got a slight sake Si I pulled over to investigate. The pass front wheel had come loose and snapped a stud. It only had 4 lugnuts to start do to 5th studs threads being screwed up. So question is what's involved in replacing the studs? I plan to replace all 5
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/12/13 07:28 AM

remove the old studs by cutting the "Knurelled" part off, Usually a holesaw with a 1/2" ID works for this operation. drive the out. I preferr pressing in new studs instead of pulling them in with washers and a lugnut. Less stress on the threaded portion that way.. Id install all the old studs incase the old studs have been stressed...

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/12/13 03:59 PM

I should have been more specific. I've replaced studs before. I was reffering to what's involved in removing the hub to replace them
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/12/13 05:30 PM

brake caliper, couple of snap rings, bearing retainer nut
Posted By: hp383

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/13/13 12:48 AM

This is a D44 front hes working on, in case that was missed.

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/13/13 01:07 AM

I had hoped the Powerwagon had covered that.

Its parked till I can get to it. If I hadnt have purchase the tires on it Id just swap to D60s but the tires have less than 3000miles

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/13/13 01:07 AM

Quote:

brake caliper, couple of snap rings, bearing retainer nut

No calipers on 74
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/13/13 03:15 AM

That should be a drum brake truck. I haven't done one of those. I think you take the part time hub off and there must be a big axle nut, jam nut and some kind of lock. Sorry.

Sheldon

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/13/13 04:26 AM

Yes drum. Last yr for them. I've never had to replace them object a 4wd at all.
Posted By: 76440

Re: Lug stud replacement - 04/13/13 11:32 PM

Same as the disc brake 80-93. The hub socket for the wheel bearing is the older style with a regular big nut...then a locking sheetmetal tab..and another nut to lock it.

Easier with the proper socket but can often be done with a hammer and chisel.

http://ramchargercentral.com/articles/?sa=view;article=14
© 2024 Moparts Forums