Moparts

96 Dakota ball joints

Posted By: 493_DART

96 Dakota ball joints - 04/11/13 04:35 AM

Preparing for the fight of changing the ball joints on my 96 . All ball joints are in the freezer this week.....going to rent the tool kit from Oreilly soon.

Ive been oiling the crap out of everything in advance...

So--these are press in type. Im looking for any tricks you might have to make the fight easier

On the upper---can I change it without taking the upper A arm off the truck ??

The lower-- can it be done without removing the lower ca ?

Ive got some 4 ft pipe ready for leverage...and a torch...
Posted By: therocks

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/11/13 10:58 AM

If they are like my 99 Durango they can be done without R&R ing the arms.I use a ball joint press and my good impact.I remove the knuckle to get more room.I know my lowers you have to check the snapring for clearance.I did all 4 at the shop in about 1/1/2 hours.Did the ones on my kids 83 Ram in the drive in about 2 hours. Rocky
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/11/13 05:38 PM

I've yet to pull the control arms on 72-93 Trucks to change them. Changed them on my wifes 01 Ram 1500 4wd with no trouble. Just gotta strong arm them. I know the trucks I've said are diff but suspension is suspension. If there's room and you have a Good impact that will make life easier. I couldn't fit an impact on the uppers of the wife 01 4wd
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/11/13 09:31 PM

Hopefully the pressing tool has all the right adapters and make sure they start straight. Also, you do know the uppers are screwed in--right? Make sure you get the socket for it, and be just as careful making sure they go in straight. I used a 1/2" breaker bar and a long pipe to get them unscrewed, switched to a ratchet when they broke loose.

BTW, a LITTLE heat will help, you just want enough to help break things free, but honestly, I never used heat on any B/joints I have done.

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/12/13 01:09 AM

are you sure the uppers are screwed in ??? everyone ive talked to said they press in.

the look like they have "ridges" not angled threads...
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/12/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

are you sure the uppers are screwed in ??? everyone ive talked to said they press in.

the look like they have "ridges" not angled threads...

There not a true 'thread' say like a bolt but yes they are supposed to be threaded in until they bottom out. FWIW when I changed the uppers/lowers on my B-van I managed to unthread the uppers and after fighting with the replacements I said F-it and just pressed the new threaded ones into the arm and called it done. Right or wrong I dont know, havnt fallen out yet.

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/12/13 11:59 PM

Yep--they look like my 70 dart uppers. I used to have the big socket for that---but I sold it on Ebay , thinking that I would never need it again.....

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/13/13 04:38 AM

Rented the press tool kit. Cant even budge the 1st lower. 5' of pipe/breaker ...heated with torch...etc...

Im throwing in the towel. F this. Im throwing on the new tie rods and calling it good.

96 Dakota ball joints for sale -- brand new !

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/13/13 05:00 AM

Weighing a couple hundred pounds helps well maybe a bit over 300
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/13/13 12:17 PM

WOW, Thats it!? I hope the ball joints weren't real bad then. I have had to deal with a broken ball joint and trying to recover the vehicle to get it home. It sucked. Good luck though, I hope they never fail on you and hurt yourself or someone around you.

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/14/13 04:16 AM

Quote:

WOW, Thats it!? I hope the ball joints weren't real bad then. I have had to deal with a broken ball joint and trying to recover the vehicle to get it home. It sucked. Good luck though, I hope they never fail on you and hurt yourself or someone around you.

and what do you expect me to do?? break my breaker bar ?
You are welcome to come over and try to break these loose !!

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/14/13 02:59 PM

Buy a BIG breaker bar. Alot cheaper than what happens when a bj fails
Posted By: hp383

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/14/13 08:33 PM

I hate failed bj's

Re: 96 Dakota ball joints - 04/14/13 09:35 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums