Moparts

DIY roll on bed liner?

Posted By: rnch

DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/06/13 04:01 PM

As much as I want a rhino-style sprayed on bed liner for my '85 Ram; the money just ain't in da budget.

I have noticed several auto parts stores advertising a DIY bed liner kit.

Anyone has any experience with these roll on bed liners?
Posted By: jimkn

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/06/13 06:00 PM

sux dont waste your money
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/06/13 06:33 PM

Check out www.monstaliner.com

I used it as an undercoating on my Jeep. Very popular product in the Jeep community. I sprayed it on with a schutz gun, but it was originally designed as a roll on product.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/07/13 04:26 AM

If you got access to a compressor, you can get it rock-it-liner for about 100 shipped... I highly recommend using this style, the spray cans and other stuff I've tried over the years are a waste of money.
Posted By: herkamer

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/07/13 07:47 AM

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/automotive-refinishes/Autobahn.html

I did this as a spray in, and it's holding up pretty well so far. I had a partial gallon left over and my brother did a bed with the roller. It seemed to work just as good. Plus the price is very decent...
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/07/13 09:51 AM

Durabac is supposed to be good and you can get it a variety of colors.. As anything proper prep is the key.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/07/13 12:27 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post7134545
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/07/13 06:08 PM

Holy gay-names-for-box-liner-paint Batman!

I did a light sanding of the box on my old '86 and then used the $7.00 an aerosol can undercoating stuff. I think it was 7 cans total. Easiest and cleanest way to do it is get a helper and pull the box off.

Could hit that cheap crap with 3500 psi pressure washer or a hammer: it stood up and never flaked off.

It's all in the prep.

Or, you could go the best, easiest, cleanest, and cheapest solution possible: 4x8 sheet of plywood. Beat it like a rented mule and just get another sheet. My $30.00 "box-liner" is in it's 3rd truck. Pull that sheet out when you go to trade 'er off and the box looks like new.

Contrary to popular belief, an applied box-lining material will not increase the re-sale value of your truck. It's just stealership talk for "we want to soak you for another $1500.00 on your purchase". No different than back in the day when they used to up-sale undercoating, or the rest of the B.S. "protection package" stuff.

Just yanked the sheet out for a wash-job in this photo, still looks brand-new, don't it?

Attached picture 7657957-IMG_0071.JPG
Posted By: Defbob

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/07/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post7134545

This is what I used for my M715.

Attached picture 7658007-5.JPG
Posted By: patrick

Re: DIY roll on bed liner? - 04/09/13 04:47 PM

brother in law did the roll-in stuff on his 2001 chevy, and has held up very well for the last 12 years...
© 2024 Moparts Forums