Moparts

picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater

Posted By: 79machocharger

picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 03:22 PM

Looking at a used durango r/t with 140000 miles on it. I'm only paying $1500.00 for it and it needs a new windsheild for sticker. Whats some things I should look for on it that are problem areas on these. I dont expect it to be pefect for the money I'm paying but dont want to waste my money on a complete piece of junk. I'm only going to be driving it back and forth from work which is only a couple of miles away and using it to haul my boat to camp at the begining of summer and end.
I'll make sure to check the fluids in it and make sure they look some what decent. Any other input on what I should check on it would be helpfull.
Thanks
Posted By: buildanother

Re: picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 03:56 PM

Only common thing I know of is the steering intermediate shaft under hood. The little u-joints in them get sloppy, and you're supposed to change the shaft. Also, some have had problems with the little switch on back sides of door and tailgate lock cyls. They can freak and cause locks to click away on you driving down the road. I removed them on my 03 slt.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 04:12 PM

I heard the 03's had a better tranny then the 01, 02's. Not sure if thats true or not.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 06:04 PM

Dunno with the 5.9, but mines the 4.7 with the newer style trans, and they have been great.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 06:39 PM

I had around a 2000, it's been a few years and can't remember... but loved it other than it had the typical messed up trans. Only other problem was the hatches like to rust out.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 07:07 PM

I had a '01. Many wiring issues. Steering column, ignition switch, turn signal switch, heater resistor harness. Recently the shifter cable broke. Power seat track is messed up. (A friend bought it) I'm having trouble keeping up on all the repairs.
Hope you have better luck. Under 120, 000 miles.
Posted By: MattW

Re: picking up a 2003 dodge durango r/t for a beater - 03/29/13 08:43 PM

Quote:

Looking at a used durango r/t with 140000 miles on it. I'm only paying $1500.00 for it and it needs a new windsheild for sticker. Whats some things I should look for on it that are problem areas on these. I dont expect it to be pefect for the money I'm paying but dont want to waste my money on a complete piece of junk. I'm only going to be driving it back and forth from work which is only a couple of miles away and using it to haul my boat to camp at the begining of summer and end.
I'll make sure to check the fluids in it and make sure they look some what decent. Any other input on what I should check on it would be helpfull.
Thanks

Upper lower ball joint. Tie rod ends. Front and back Stabilizer link ends. Wheel bearings. If it has a posi the clips that hold the posi clutches break.
Mostly wear and tear stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums