Moparts

Durango R/T

Posted By: DCI

Durango R/T - 02/11/13 07:22 PM

What are the differences between a 2001 Durango and a Durango R/T??

They both had drum brakes on the rear correct? Antilock feature onyl worked for the back I think.

Would the R/T have better suspension components?
Posted By: 72d100

Re: Durango R/T - 02/11/13 07:27 PM

R/T's are awd if i rember correctly so there may be some differences
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Durango R/T - 02/11/13 07:42 PM

Not sure about suspension components. They are awd, though. I had one and loved it. My girlfriend bought it when I bought my Challenger, and it took about a month to develop problems. Something new breaks as soon as I fix one thing. Wheel bearings, pinion seal, spring shackle rusted off like a Ranger does, blower resistor, then the harness snorted, steering column wiring with a problem, turn signal switch, both exhaust flanges rusted off, seat track went haywire, power window cluster on drivers door, etc.
If you haven't figured it out in a couple weeks, check back. Chances are good I will get into steering/suspension work on it next.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Durango R/T - 02/11/13 09:08 PM

the durango R/T was mostly an appearance package to go with the Dakota R/T.

On Dakota's the only way to get the 5.9 was if you had the R/T, (although there are a FEW quad cab trucks with a 5.9)

there are a lot more Durangos with 5.9s though. the "R/T" would be mono-chrome color, 17x9 alloy rims, fender flares, leather seats, etc. and I believe they were AWD.

a regular Durango could have been 2wd, 4wd, probaby had 16x8" rims, and could be had with all kinds of color options, chrome bumpers, body colored bumpers, grey plastic bumpers, mix match of all the above, etc.

Re: Durango R/T - 02/12/13 02:07 AM

Thanks for the reply guys

Client told me about his neighbors. $2900 obo so I am going to take a look at. He swears it has R/T on the doors. Might be a fun little truck for metal detecting....especially since it is 4WD.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Durango R/T - 02/12/13 05:49 AM

I think I read on here somewhere that the regular Durangoa with a 5.9 had a 9.25 diff and the R/T's had an 8.25 (cause they were AWD). What kind of transfer case did the R/T's use to make it AWD? Clutch type or some sort of gear setup?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Durango R/T - 02/13/13 04:16 AM

I saw plenty of 2wd R/T durangos when I worked at the dodge dealer and they were selling them new (I was driving a black 2wd R/T on a PDI test drive when I heard on the radio about a plane hitting the world trade center tower) there was one just sold at the local auction with a bad trans for around $900. I remember most Dakotas and Durangos had 3.55 gears while all the R/Ts had either a 3.92 or 4.10 trac loc 9.25. 98-99 had a better cam and in 2000 all 5.9s got the same cam as the R/T. I think there was something different about the exhaust also, they definately sounded different and I don't think it was all cam. None of them had the R/T heads as they were aftermarket only. I think all the R/Ts had suede leather inserts in the seats. They all had the 17" wheels that were already mentioned.

There was a recall on some rigs that came with 8.25s and we swapped in 9.25s but I don't think those were in the R/Ts.

Re: Durango R/T - 02/13/13 01:11 PM

Interesting. I have yet to find any info that indicates the older R/T's were available as 2wd, AWD only. Would be nice to get rid of all the weight and drag associated with awd and still get the upgrades of an R/T.

2001 Durango options
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Durango R/T - 02/13/13 02:21 PM

I thought the r/t's were all 4x4 as well. I know a co-worker had one with 8 1/4 rear. I've had an 01 and now an 03 that were regular slt 4x4's and both have 3.55 9 1/4's.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Durango R/T - 02/14/13 01:58 AM

I understood R/T's were all 4x4, too. I've never seen a 2wd. Never seen one. Not that it means they didn't make them. There's a lot of cars I haven't seen that were made!
© 2024 Moparts Forums