Moparts

Manual brakes Question

Posted By: hemi_harvester

Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 04:07 AM

I have a 87 Ramcharger, I want to convert to manual brakes, my question is on the trucks is there a firewall reinforcent plate when you have manual brakes like on a B body car ? or does the master cyclinder bolt stright to the firewall?

Thanks
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 10:31 AM

Not sure but I believe theres a plate for the master to bolt on to the firewall in place of the booster. What do you have against power beraks? Power brakse replaced manual brakes for a reason...

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 04:00 PM

I'm going to put in a Big Block and need the room plus I'm changing the cam so vacuum will also be a issue.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 04:10 PM

With an appropriately sized master cylinder, manual brakes can be nice, provide much better "feel" of brake modulation, and offers a cleaner engine bay without a booster and hoses for vacuum
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 04:16 PM

that little plate is just to dress it up--it isnt substantial enough to give more strength---and hey manual brakes give you better pedal feel--i run 4 wheel discs with manual pedal on all my cars/trucks---in panic situations you are less likely to lock them up---power guys tend to lock up the brakes which means you are ever closer to loosing control--locked up brakes take more distance to stop the car--locked up brakes mean the car follows the line of momentum meaning you cant effectively steer the car away from the hazard....bob
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

I'm going to put in a Big Block and need the room plus I'm changing the cam so vacuum will also be a issue.

What size big block? B Blocks will fit with all brake setups. RB Blocks Need the small booster.
That's what vacuum canisters and pumps are for. I do know there's a plate as the bolt pattern is diff bit don't believe is not really reinforcement
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 06:28 PM

Scratchy needs to chime in here. He changed his 88 from power to manual..
Posted By: coronet1966d

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/27/13 07:22 PM

i have manual brakes, if you take off your brake booster there is a large round hole and 4 mouning holes for the booster, you need an adapter plate to use the 2 bolt master cylinder. scratchin made mine but its very simple to do yourself
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/28/13 02:36 AM

remove the vac booster and use the foam gasket as a template to make a metal plate drilled for a 2 bolt alum MC

the manaul brake rod is 7" long and you can get the adjustable brake rod.

all I did was order up a MC for a 79 ramcharger,used the stock prop valve,with 11x2.5 rear drums,large wheel cyls.

spoon up the rears and it has a nice firm pedle and stops great with the 440 up front on my 88 truck.

here is a stock rod and plate from a manual brake truck,this is the set up I gave to John.

Attached picture 7564012-manualMC#1.jpg

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/28/13 02:37 AM

my 88 440 truck manual brake MC set up.

Attached picture 7564015-manualMC#2.jpg

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/28/13 02:38 AM

Attached picture 7564019-manualMC#3.jpg

Re: Manual brakes Question - 01/28/13 03:49 PM

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums