Moparts

Brake pedal not releasing on LRT

Posted By: chargervert

Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/26/13 03:26 PM

My 78 LRT has been sitting on the side of my garage for the last seven years. I got it running again out of a gas can,and I bought an electric fuel pump to pump the bad gas out of the tank. I moved it and the brake pedal is not fully releasing when I take my foot off the brakes. I figured it may be the brake hoses or stuck calipers,so I replaced the hoses,calipers and brake pads. The brake pedal is still not releasing,do you guys think it's the master cylnder,the brake booster,or both?
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/26/13 04:03 PM

Booster being bad will cause the pedal to not come back up. Wouldn't hurt to replace mc and booster
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/26/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

Booster being bad will cause the pedal to not come back up. Wouldn't hurt to replace mc and booster

Posted By: Adventurer_Sport

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/27/13 02:32 PM

It's likely nothing more than the shaft needing fresh lube.

It's nearly impossible to lube from the ends of the bushing and I had to disassemble mine to clean out the old, dried residue from the bushing. Fresh lube...like new.

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/27/13 05:03 PM

Wife 76 wouldn't bring the pedal back up and it was Bad Booster.
Sometimes a bad booster will also produce a hissing sound. My Crewcab currently needs booster. Hisses

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/28/13 04:04 AM

Who has the best deals on brake boosters for a 78 LRT?
Posted By: 77ProStreet

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/28/13 04:42 AM

My 80 had the same problem, I ended up buying a new booster...but that was not the problem. I found that the shaft that the pedal is attached to was rusty and needed lube, I should have checked it first before buying a new booster.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/28/13 07:57 AM

Quote:

Who has the best deals on brake boosters for a 78 LRT?

Just because its on a LRT it just the same booster as any other Dodge truck of that year..

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/30/13 04:12 AM

I know that it takes the same booster as any other power disc brake equipped 78 Dodge truck. Where is the best place to locate/purchase one?
Posted By: hp383

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/30/13 04:15 AM

I bought my last setup from Rockauto

Re: Brake pedal not releasing on LRT - 01/30/13 08:21 AM

Quote:

I know that it takes the same booster as any other power disc brake equipped 78 Dodge truck. Where is the best place to locate/purchase one?

No it don't. There's more than one style available. Any and ALL Parts stores can get it as just the booster or booster/master cylinder combo.
© 2024 Moparts Forums