Moparts

Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic

Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 12:17 AM

Well...the cab came back from the paint shop today, Bed isn't finished so I talked him into letting me take the cab so I could start the axle install...here we go...

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 12:18 AM

Other side...

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 12:19 AM

Old rear out...

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 12:21 AM

New A body 8 3/4 in, new brakes installed, bled, emergency brake hooked up, driveshaft installed, almost ready for a test drive.
Posted By: magnum440d100

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 12:34 AM

i like it
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 03:04 AM

SSWWWEEEETT!!! that is looking nice!

kool how a A-body 8 3/4 will just bolt right into the trucks.

are you going down low with it? fliping the shackle? how long did the drive shaft wind up being? bed tubbed yet?

I cant tell by pics but hope the shocks have room with the pipes,they get spred out a good ways.

I had to clearance the cross brace for a fat airshock,stock shocks fits ok if pipes are not in the way.

I just drove mine for the first time with all 3 gears,went 150 miles so far,I think you will like it. my face cheeks hurt from the whole way.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 06:03 AM

I just drove mine for the first time with all 3 gears,went 150 miles so far,I think you will like it. my face cheeks hurt from the whole way.

Its about time..
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 06:28 AM

Quote:

are you going down low with it? fliping the shackle? how long did the drive shaft wind up being? bed tubbed yet?

I cant tell by pics but hope the shocks have room with the pipes,they get spred out a good ways.

I had to clearance the cross brace for a fat airshock,stock shocks fits ok if pipes are not in the way.

Burnout Vid
Posted By: bill8121

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 07:23 AM

Dude that's really nice. Should provide years of entertainment!
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 12:35 PM

that truck is sweet!

and Scratch...no pics...it didn't happen..
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 01:32 PM

Nice truck!
I tried to send you a PM, but your box is full. I have a question about your choice of muffler. What brand and part# is it. I plan on doing the same thing for the my exhaust. PM me please.......
Thanks

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 08/12/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

Scratch, I'm only doing the axle flip for now and lowering the front the same by trimming the coils a little, the bed is tubbed with S&W steel tubs and honestly, the drive shaft has me a little nervous...when I attached it to the rear end it sure did slide a long way up into the trans... , gotta do some more checking on that. The shocks look like they are going to clear the pipe, however, when I get the new engine in I may remove them anyway, not sure yet, may go with turndowns and bigger pipes.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/03/13 12:23 PM

I can't find your original thread on this build i don't get a chance to hangout over here much,I think the last i'v herd on it the guy that did your body-work did not finish so i was just wondering if anything new going on with this project?

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/06/13 02:44 AM

Quote:

I can't find your original thread on this build i don't get a chance to hangout over here much,I think the last i'v herd on it the guy that did your body-work did not finish so i was just wondering if anything new going on with this project?

Hi, yeah, truck got finished (kinda), after months of dealing with the painter, I got what I paid for...half aced job...shame on me...the truck has about 8 dime sized solvent "pops" about the size of dimes scattered randomly about the truck...it will have to be re-done at some point. On the positive side I drive it almost every weekend and it is a blast, even winning it's first "contest" with a 69 Chevy of unknown powertrain with small front tires and wide backs, short bed step side haven't seen him since . Here are the latest pics of the lilblacktruck:

Posted By: racerx

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/07/13 02:32 AM

That's nice it reminds me of the 73-d-100 short bed i use to own,i trade it in on a 95 ram back in 98 i kick myself for trading it.I'll like to find another one and do a turbo setup those trucks have lots of room under the hood .
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/07/13 02:54 AM

It looks great !

I'd love to find one of those

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/08/13 02:34 PM

Yeah, I was surprised at how hard it was to find a pre-80 swb, truth is I actually wanted a 72-76 but settled for this 78 because it was all I could find at the time, and then had to go to eastern Tenn. To get it. Sometimes I wish I had put a big block in it because it needs more torque off the hit, but for now I'm considering spray or a Pro charger
Posted By: Kevin I

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/09/13 06:26 AM

That truck looks great. I love the "poverty" caps and the fatties out back.
Posted By: Robbins

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/09/13 01:39 PM

Quote:

That truck looks great. I love the "poverty" caps and the fatties out back.

Me too!
Posted By: JD340

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/11/13 05:28 AM

Wow! How did I miss this build the first time around??? Looks darn fine to me!

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/12/13 12:16 AM

Thanks, lots of work in it, it was supposed to be a quick "throw together" for something to ride around in while I'm restoring the GTX but I kind of went overboard... . Now it's not fast enough, whodathunkit.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/12/13 12:30 AM

Sits nice

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/12/13 03:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks, lots of work in it, it was supposed to be a quick "throw together" for something to ride around in while I'm restoring the GTX but I kind of went overboard... . Now it's not fast enough, whodathunkit.

even at 20 mph it still looks awsome. the body lines are looking good with the rear flared a little with the fattys. the mid 80s body lines look good also.but now I remember why I am so fond of the mid 70s truck.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 12:29 AM

Looks great!!! I`m considering tubbing and big tireing my 92, I really like the look, now that I know an A body 8 3/4 fits under even better, I have a question for you and/or scratchin, how far in did you go with the wheel tubs? to the frame rails? Thanks!

Attached picture 7586019-IMG_0226.JPG

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 02:40 AM

I cut my bed to within a few inches of the frame, wasn't any sense in going any further due to the stock spring location, I left enough to have a flush mounting surface for the S&W steel tubs and then butted the tubs flush against the bed wall. I also left a short flange on the factory tub for support. See below pics. Assembling the tubs was probably the most challenging part of the mod.

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 02:44 AM

I went flush with the floor support that sits on top of the frame.

I used 1 full set of tubs welding them to the 1/2 tubs in the bed.

here is a pic that you can see the floor support and where I cut it. this makes it in past the spring flush with the frame.

I used a shackle flip and floped the A-body 8 3/4 on top of spring with same wheel/tire combo.

IIRC,Max just floped the 8 3/4 on top of the springs and used pre-made wheel tubbs.

***FYI*** the A-body 8 3/4 needs the large brake offset axles with 5 on 4.5 wbp. this make the whole 8 3/4 wider by 1/2" = 1/4" each side. so it tucks the 12" rim with a 4.5 backset on rims running a M/T 29x15x15 tire in the fenders.

if running a skinny 1 3/4" brake A-body axle you need a rim with 4 1/4" BS( best measure tire bulge/leaf spring clearance )

Attached picture 7586214-tubsundercoat#2.jpg

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 02:50 AM

2 different ways well done by both of us I might add.

Attached picture 7586222-fullpimmerinthesun#2.jpg

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 03:36 AM

..."IIRC,Max just floped the 8 3/4 on top of the springs and used pre-made wheel tubbs."...you are correct sir. I tried doing my tubs like yours and couldn't find any that weren't beat to heck...but I tried, still have the scrapped evidence behind my shop

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 04:34 AM

I was glad to see a set like yours done up. pics are worth a thousand words. I want to use a set on my next project and plan to just flop the axle for a low stance like that. (can i just swap fenders/doors/bed to a mid 80s chassis for the body lines?)

kinda like the frontend drops,so much info and more than one way so it can be adjusted for the stance you want.

I cant wait to score a shortbed 4x4 for a 2x gasser truck build.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/13/13 07:43 AM

Quote:

I was glad to see a set like yours done up. pics are worth a thousand words. I want to use a set on my next project and plan to just flop the axle for a low stance like that. (can i just swap fenders/doors/bed to a mid 80s chassis for the body lines?)

kinda like the frontend drops,so much info and more than one way so it can be adjusted for the stance you want.

I cant wait to score a shortbed 4x4 for a 2x gasser truck build.

Yes you can just swap clip door and box. That's what Im doing to my 84 Crewcab
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/14/13 12:28 AM

Thanks Guys Great info! p.s. rear bumper in picture now gone and theres a roll pan in its place.

Attached picture 7587253-IMG_0174.JPG
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Back from the paint shop...kinda...and axle install pic - 02/14/13 03:40 AM

Nice truck!
© 2024 Moparts Forums