Moparts

Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD

Posted By: Joatha

Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/03/12 03:43 AM

I have an 06 Ram 3500 CTD with a single rear wheel (not a dually). While the ride doesn't bother me, the wife hates riding in it. Its pretty stiff and rough - expected for a 1 ton. But, she REALLY hates it. Given some of the trips we take it would be easier if I could soften the ride up.

I have been looking at possibly converting or supplmenting with air bags so that I could set it on a softer setting when empty and then dial it up when I have a load in it or the like.

But, there may be other things I can look at as well - like different shocks. Anyone have any advice as to what I should be looking at? Vendors? Kits? Articles with advice or recommendations?

I'm just trying to poke around and see what the cost might be. Thanks!

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/04/12 01:28 PM

2 days and not a single response??
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/04/12 02:30 PM

Really not much you can do, springs are the key. You can try the bags, they might help slightly, a bit more if it's loaded. Lower the tire pressure. If she thinks it rides rough now I don't think any of that will make enough difference to change her mind.

Maybe you can take her for a ride in a '93 or older one ton? That might change her perspective.

Robert
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/04/12 04:29 PM

Take a couple of photos of the rear leafs and post the them on here.

I'll try to help you. I have a few suggestions.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/04/12 05:43 PM

Quality shocks all the way around and a link suspension with air bags on the rear wound be the best way to go IMO. or get a 1/4 or 3/8 sheet of steel to carry in the bed.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/04/12 08:40 PM

My Dad has an '07 Ram 3500 dually. He adds about 500 LBS in the bed when he takes it on a trip without his 5th wheel trailer. Makes a HUGE difference.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/05/12 03:24 AM

If they swap, a set of 3/4 ton springs would ride better. Add air bags to get the load capacity back... although the idea of simply adding weight would be fine also. 500# or so wouldn't impact performance or mileage much.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/05/12 05:02 AM

3/4 tons springs are only different in that they don't have helper springs which do nothing to the unloaded ride. In the winter I put a big truck tire and rim in the back of mine for weight, it's just enough to help the ride a bit and the Cummins doesn't even know it's back there. I also suggest 500lbs is the easiest solution.
What air pressure are you running in the back? When my truck's empty I air it down to 28lbs in the back.

Sheldon

Attached picture 7192956-DSC01075(Large).JPG
Posted By: MachoMan

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/05/12 01:01 PM

Quote:

I have an 06 Ram 3500 CTD with a single rear wheel (not a dually). While the ride doesn't bother me, the wife hates riding in it. Its pretty stiff and rough - expected for a 1 ton. But, she REALLY hates it.

my suggestion, find an old leaf sprung 1-ton 4x4, take for ride in that, then a ride in '06.
problem solved.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/05/12 03:02 PM

The easiest thing is find her something else to drive! It's a 1 ton truck, it's gonna ride rough without a load in it.

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/08/12 02:51 AM

Quote:

The easiest thing is find her something else to drive! It's a 1 ton truck, it's gonna ride rough without a load in it.

She doesn't drive it. She rides in it with me. And, she hates riding in it. It would be a LOT easier to take the truck on some trips we make than loading down her Maxima. But, she refuses to ride in the truck on a long trip. So, here we are....

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/08/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

Take a couple of photos of the rear leafs and post the them on here.

I'll try to help you. I have a few suggestions.

I'll try to get some photos.

It does have the standard leaf stack for a 3/4 plus the helper springs for the 1 ton (which don't come in to play at all unless its loaded).

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/08/12 02:53 AM

Quote:

3/4 tons springs are only different in that they don't have helper springs which do nothing to the unloaded ride. In the winter I put a big truck tire and rim in the back of mine for weight, it's just enough to help the ride a bit and the Cummins doesn't even know it's back there. I also suggest 500lbs is the easiest solution.
What air pressure are you running in the back? When my truck's empty I air it down to 28lbs in the back.

Sheldon

Good idea. I will look at adding some weight somehow. I need to check on the air pressure.
Posted By: Lugnutz

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/08/12 03:19 AM

Buy her an air seat...............
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/08/12 12:31 PM

BUY A GMC

Rickster

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/08/12 03:27 PM

Buying a GMC is a good idea as cars do ride better. If you want a truck though you should stick with the Dodge.

Sheldon
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/09/12 01:53 AM

When I bought my 04 dodge dually new on trip home I thought , what did I just buy? a lumber wagon? it rode hard. The next day went to Home Depot and loaded up 2 pallets of wet sod. Drove around with that in the back for a week. That took care of the stiff ride. Rides nice now. Wife would rather ride in it than her linclon. As a matter of fact this morning we had to go out of town , about 150 mile trip, asked car or truck , she said she'd rather ride that far in the truck. But she also say's that the driver seat is more comfortable than the passenger seat. Maybe let your wife drive

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/09/12 03:00 AM

Quote:

Buying a GMC is a good idea as cars do ride better. If you want a truck though you should stick with the Dodge.

Sheldon

Sheldon do you see a car in this pic......

I have been a Mopar Guy for more years than I care to admit....tested 07's before I bought the GMC

Rickster

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/10/12 01:29 AM

That is cute all right. Actually I'm sort of okay with GM trucks, I think Ford is a pretty good truck as well but with a poor engine.
If size matters though when I got my International 9900 stuck after putting a 53' into a very difficult spot on Monday it was a Dodge that got me out. After dollying off the trailer and pulling forward so I could back out beside the trailer I had just dropped off, my front wheels went slightly over the bank on top of a cliff and my 3way lockers in the back weren't enough. The customer hooked his 05 Cummins up and after about the 3rd jerk with me spinning 6 tires and the Dodge spinning all four, she came out. I wouldn't have let him try it if he didn't have a solid axle in both ends. Anyone can parade around on smooth pavement with no hills though.

Sheldon
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/10/12 02:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

She doesn't drive it. She rides in it with me. And, she hates riding in it. It would be a LOT easier to take the truck on some trips we make than loading down her Maxima. But, she refuses to ride in the truck on a long trip. So, here we are....

You could always leave her at home and find a women that will ride in it! Just an idea.

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/10/12 03:13 AM

Quote:

That is cute all right. Actually I'm sort of okay with GM trucks, I think Ford is a pretty good truck as well but with a poor engine.
If size matters though when I got my International 9900 stuck after putting a 53' into a very difficult spot on Monday it was a Dodge that got me out. After dollying off the trailer and pulling forward so I could back out beside the trailer I had just dropped off, my front wheels went slightly over the bank on top of a cliff and my 3way lockers in the back weren't enough. The customer hooked his 05 Cummins up and after about the 3rd jerk with me spinning 6 tires and the Dodge spinning all four, she came out. I wouldn't have let him try it if he didn't have a solid axle in both ends. Anyone can parade around on smooth pavement with no hills though.

Sheldon

at 26000+ lbs loaded the old girl never even breathed hard pulling the 6% grades through Georgia & Tennessee

Rickster
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 05/12/12 10:52 AM

Quote:

2 days and not a single response??

What do you want? A one ton truck is exactly that- a one ton truck. Does ANYONE expect a luxo-yacht ride from one? I hope not!
Posted By: A1OO

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 07/05/12 09:05 AM

We took my future father in-law '08 Dodge 3500 megacab CTD to Canada, pulling 16' fishin boat, maybe 100 lb tonge weight with a 300lb gear in bed and it rode awesome, smooth.

The ride is way better than my '04 Ram 2500 gasser with same load in it. Although my Micky Thompsons mudders do help with ride I think.

No comparison to my brothers '01 Dually with CTD, that is a rough ridin truck.
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 02/04/14 11:44 PM

I realize this is late to the party, but may help the next guy. Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks set on soft with the dial and 28 lbs of air make my dually ride nice. It won't help the mileage, but it rides good and with the turn of the dial and a little air your set for towing.

Attached picture 8026717-Cyclone3.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 02/05/14 12:29 AM

That's easy...Drive a 1990 W250 for a month, and you will never complain about your '06 again...
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 02/05/14 08:46 AM

Mine's an 07 3500 4 x 4......I don't put any more than 35# in the rear tires unloaded. I looked at the tires for wear the other day and I wouldn't be surprised that I could air them down to around 30 with no problem.
If you're running around with 50# plus in them, it's gonna ride choppy.
Mine actually rides dam nice for a 1 ton.....

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 02/06/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

Mine's an 07 3500 4 x 4......I don't put any more than 35# in the rear tires unloaded. I looked at the tires for wear the other day and I wouldn't be surprised that I could air them down to around 30 with no problem.
If you're running around with 50# plus in them, it's gonna ride choppy.
Mine actually rides dam nice for a 1 ton.....

Did the same with my dually.....30-35 and 65 when loaded with the 50 footer

Rickster
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Improving the Ride - 06 Ram 3500 CTD - 02/06/14 02:09 AM

If you read his post he has a single wheel one-ton and they ride MUCH rougher than a dually. I have air bags on mine because I tow with it a lot and with no weight in the back it is almost a buckboard, but not nearly as bad as the 92 dually I had...

Attached picture 8028243-IM000308.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums