Moparts

Parts washer solvent recommendations

Posted By: rapom

Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 05:54 PM

Cleaning up my parts washer. I had mineral spirits for degreaser. Is there a good water based solvent you guys use other than mineral spirits?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 06:01 PM

Water makes things rust, including the parts washer.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 06:04 PM

In mine i use Super Clean, the stuff in the purple container.
Always been working well for me, what i do with suspension, and brake parts.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 07:20 PM

I have always used safety-kleen solvents. Yes they cost a little more but it last three times longer and cleans better.

https://www.safety-kleen.com/products/chemistries/safety-kleen-premium-solvent
Posted By: A12

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 67vertman
I have always used safety-kleen solvents. Yes they cost a little more but it last three times longer and cleans better.

https://www.safety-kleen.com/products/chemistries/safety-kleen-premium-solvent

Me too, since the late '80's, always the best choice IMO too . up
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 09:02 PM

Been buying mine from NAPA. Works just fine.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/22/24 11:15 PM

have always used safety-kleen solvents. Yes they cost a little more but it last three times longer and cleans better.

Had my parts washer since the early '80's. I've used a lot of different solvents in it over the years. Odorless paint thinner was always the least expensive. However, prices have skyrocketted over the past - let's say ten - years so I've switched to Saf-T-Kleen solvent becuase itssimilarly priced and doesn't seem to evaporate as quickly. It also has a higher ignition temperature so there's that aspect of ot too.

FWIW, I always put a plastic trash bag in the drum before adding the solvent. Every few years I pump out the solvent leaving a little bit with all the crap in the bag which I take out and dispose of. This way I don't have to clean the drum every time I replace/add solvent.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/23/24 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by hemi71x
In mine i use Super Clean, the stuff in the purple container.
Always been working well for me, what i do with suspension, and brake parts.

I'm assuming you wear gloves? That stuff is great but makes my hands feel like 600 grit for a few days ( removes finger print oil) beer

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/23/24 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
have always used safety-kleen solvents. Yes they cost a little more but it last three times longer and cleans better.

Had my parts washer since the early '80's. I've used a lot of different solvents in it over the years. Odorless paint thinner was always the least expensive. However, prices have skyrocketted over the past - let's say ten - years so I've switched to Saf-T-Kleen solvent becuase itssimilarly priced and doesn't seem to evaporate as quickly. It also has a higher ignition temperature so there's that aspect of ot too.

FWIW, I always put a plastic trash bag in the drum before adding the solvent. Every few years I pump out the solvent leaving a little bit with all the crap in the bag which I take out and dispose of. This way I don't have to clean the drum every time I replace/add solvent.

good idea on the plastic bag. I started leaving the lid down on mine and found it really slows the evap rate wink
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/23/24 01:44 AM

That stuff is great but makes my hands feel like 600 grit for a few days ( removes finger print oil)

LOL ... and solvent doesn't ?!?!?
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/23/24 02:29 AM

I'm assuming you wear gloves? That stuff is great but makes my hands feel like 600 grit for a few days ( removes finger print oil)

Yes, i always do.
Ya, it can do a number on your hands if your skin can't tolerate it.

Re: Parts washer solvent recommendations - 03/24/24 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
That stuff is great but makes my hands feel like 600 grit for a few days ( removes finger print oil)

LOL ... and solvent doesn't ?!?!?

Not that I've noticed wink beer the part that amazes me is it's supposedly biodegradable 😲
© 2024 Moparts Forums